Blueberry Muffins Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

panchocs

Assistant Cook
Hey guys, I'm new around here and the forum is awesome :D

I'm here because I just made a batch of blueberry muffins this evening and I had the same problem I always have: they turn out kind of underdone inside, I think it might be caused by the moisture of the fruit itself.

This is my recipe:

2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
pinch salt

I mix that together and add

1 large egg
1 cup of buttermilk
2/3 cup canola oil
some vanilla extract

I mix that and cook for about 15-20 mins at 180°C.

Do you have the same problem?

Thanks in advance :chef:

Sounds like you're not baking them long enough, assuming you're using a standard muffin pan, and not a mini pan. Try baking them about 25 -30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center (not into a blueberry), comes out fairly clean.

A few questions:
How many cups of blueberries are you using?
Are you using a shiny pan or a dark nonstick pan?
Have you tried more than one recipe for blueberry muffins?
Have you checked your oven for accuracy with a good oven thermometer?

Hi, and welcome to DC.

I see several variables worth checking out.

1. 180C( ~350 F) for 15- 20 minutes, most of my recipes say muffins bake 20 -25 minutes at this temp.

2. If the temp is set a little higher, like 190 C / 375 F, then they may bake done at a shorter time, but I think closer to 20 minutes.

3. Check the muffins with a wooden pick when you think they are done baking and if it comes out clean, they are done.

4. Your oven may be set at 180 and say it's 180, but is this the true oven temp? Oven temps can and do vary. Go to your local hardware/ cookware shop and buy a small oven thermometer. They do not cost very much. Hang it on an oven rack, the one you will set your muffin pan. When the oven says 180, ckeck the thermometer, and if the same, you are good. If not, adjust the oven temp accordingly.

Wow, thanks for the quick answers!

Merstar, I'm actually using a mini muffin pan (cupcake-sized muffins). Should've said that on the first post!

I always use the same recipe, and they always come out perfectly cooked! I just find that when using berries, they get all soft inside, not as "crumbly" as I would like. Perhaps adding more flour would help!?

Whiskadoodle (love the name!) my oven is pretty messed up lol, so maybe the temperature is not as accurate as I would like, but as I said, they always turn out great.

Do berry muffins always end up moister?

A moist muffin = good. A muffin where the dough is still well, "doughy", indicates they are not cooked done enough. I think muffins are supposed to be moist. Not crisp or crumbly. Except across the tops, I like that part a little more crisp. ( As an aside, one can buy very shallow muffin pans that only make muffin tops).

Even if you carefully fold the berries in, there may be some that break up and streak in the muffin, and there may be some berry liquid. That is ok. I think it is the batter that you are concerned with. I guess I would try baking a few minutes longer.

Oh, and I have no idea about how long mini muffins vs standard muffin baking times should be. I have never used mini- muffin pans. Whether standard size or smaller, they should still come out the way your other muffins do.

Back
Top Bottom