I think I have solved the "I Don't Like Bread" problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
I bought a loaf of artisan white bread. It almost resembles a soft loaf of italian bread. Unfortunately, I bought it last Monday and just opened it today. It has just started to go stale. I took one slice, cut it in half and made a cold cut sandwich. Nope, didn't like it. So I took a mouthful of coffee to wash it down. It brought back a childhood memory.

My mother would make me a cup of tea with milk and sugar, butter a stale piece of Italian bread and I would dunk it in the tea. I could go through a whole loaf of bread doing that. Or until the cup of tea ran out. So for the rest of the loaf, I will be repeating what my mother used to do for me. YUM! :angel:

Bread makes me cramp up like crazy! I prefer eating rye bread, doesn't affect my IBS too badly and I prefer the taste. I still love bread though.

i have the greatest sympathy for folks who either don't like bread, or can't have it for some other reason. what they are missing is immeasurable! sorta like sex....

i have the greatest sympathy for folks who either don't like bread, or can't have it for some other reason. what they are missing is immeasurable! sorta like sex....

:ROFLMAO:
It's intimate relations V, PG 13 ;)

I love bread but I suffer so much when I eat it! Same thing with pies and pastries. It sucks!

that gives yeast infections a whole new meaning, vit. :doh:

but i'm with ya on being a lover of bread. my wife and i are to bread what oenophiles are to wine. we'll smell it, and squeeze it, and thump a loaf of bread to hear it drum to tell how good it is before buying.

Last edited:
A fat slice of pumpernickel with mustard, eggs overeasy, pickles, artichoke hearts, topped with Hershey's Lite chocolate sauce, gorgonzola and tzatziki mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yum

Last edited:
I hardly eat bread anymore. It does get stale. When I buy a loaf, i immediately divide it and freeze half.

Uses for bread--

Toast, add peanut butter. Cut slices into pieces. Share it with the squirrels. Watch their cheeks get full.

If it gets too stale, make bread cubes. Oven dry. Feed it to the chipmonks.

If it gets really really stale and dry, make breadcrumbs. Feed the crumbs to the birds.

Buy a fresh loaf.

I hardly eat bread anymore. It does get stale. When I buy a loaf, i immediately divide it and freeze half.

Uses for bread--

Toast, add peanut butter. Cut slices into pieces. Share it with the squirrels. Watch their cheeks get full.

If it gets too stale, make bread cubes. Oven dry. Feed it to the chipmonks.

If it gets really really stale and dry, make breadcrumbs. Feed the crumbs to the birds.

Buy a fresh loaf.

This loaf will be going to the birds. With this storm, their food is buried under 29+ inches of snow. But first it has to stop snowing. With gusts of 76 mph I doubt I will be going out for the sole purpose of feeding the birds. I don't even have a window in a position that I can toss it to them. At least I won't feel that I wasted money on something I don't like.

BTW, Did you know that if you dye the bread blue or red, the birds will think the pieces are berries. And it helps to make the bread stand out from the white of the snow. :angel:

I haven't bought bread in perhaps 10 years. I have a bread machine and if I want bread/pitas/kaiser rolls, I make bread. But, I do freeze most of it because I only eat a slice or two. In June 2012 I more or less quit eating bread and white sugar. Since then, I have shrunk 2 dress sizes. I also eat my biggest meal in the morning. I am a member of the bread-eating tribe, I love bread, but it no longer loves me.

For me bread is a way to be lazy in the kitchen.

Put whatever between to slices and you've got a meal. :yum:

I buy it and bake it. Baking it is a relaxing enterprise for me and the reward can't be beat. :chef:

Freezing it a great way to keep it. A few minute sitting out of the freezer or a few second in the microwave and it's ready to go.

A good bread knife is needed to cut a frozen loaf. It can't take a lot of freeze thaw cycles.

And when it does get stale I always share with the birds and chipmunks. But you can keep those "Tree Rats" (Squirrels) out in the cold. They are not welcome at my place. (I've had too much damage to my house and car by the little ##%!!@**(&^$ 's. :mad:

A lot of people think bread is inedibly stale after a couple of days, but usually it's not. Put it in a 350ºF oven for 10 minutes and it's fine - crusty on the outside and soft on the inside.

I also freeze it, or make homemade garlic/herb croutons or dry and store it, then use it for breading.

for snacking, i actually "make" stale bread--ryes and pumpernickels are 'specially good for this. i can't always be waiting around for days for my bread to go stale the natural way. i just lay out the bread slices on the counter or somewhere, expose them to air overnight. sometimes they need to be turned. they are ready when you think they are. for me, the bread needs to be curled up at the edges, and is no longer soft, though half-stale bread is pretty good too, if you're the impatient type, like me....
i really don't get it. we like fresh bread, we like croutons, but stale bread is a major turn-off, huh?

My mother taught me to take your stale bread, put it in a 'brown' paper bag and add just a couple drops of water. Place in a warm oven for about five minutes. It comes out really soft like just baked fresh bread, The bag had to be BROWN paper bag. No other bag would do. I have no idea why. :angel:

My mother taught me to take your stale bread, put it in a 'brown' paper bag and add just a couple drops of water. Place in a warm oven for about five minutes. It comes out really soft like just baked fresh bread, The bag had to be BROWN paper bag. No other bag would do. I have no idea why. :angel:
Well, here in Ontario we'd be hard pressed to do that--the government has deemed brown paper bags to be unsafe. The only place you can ge them is a the liquor store (and only big enough to hold two bottles). I bring brown paper grocery bags home from MN whenever I go. How else could I shake up my popcorn?

A lot of people think bread is inedibly stale after a couple of days, but usually it's not. Put it in a 350ºF oven for 10 minutes and it's fine - crusty on the outside and soft on the inside.

I also freeze it, or make homemade garlic/herb croutons or dry and store it, then use it for breading.
My dad taught me that many years ago. :) I like to use day or two old bread cut into cubes for dressing for chicken,tukry, even with pork it so great. Thanks for the reminder.
kades

...the government has deemed brown paper bags to be unsafe.

LOL huh? How can that even be? I'm trying to imagine ways of hurting myself with a paper bag, and besides a paper cut I can't come up with much. :LOL: Do they send you home with your groceries in plastic bags?

Back
Top Bottom