Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   The bag of parts that come in the chicken? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/the-bag-of-parts-that-come-in-the-chicken-84260.html)

legend_018 02-09-2013 02:03 PM

The bag of parts that come in the chicken?

I've roasted chicken many times, but never! used the bag of parts that come in the cavity. Is there anything worthwhile with these parts? Is it healthy? Please give me some ideas. Should I freeze for now? THanks for any ideas. I'd love to put them to use especially if it's to any benefit to my health.

GotGarlic 02-09-2013 02:25 PM

Hi. Those are organ meats - usually the heart, liver and gizzard - and have a lot of protein and iron; because of that, they have a mineraly taste. Some people like to bread and fry them; some use them to make stock for gravy. We cook them with a little butter in a small pan and chop them up for a treat for the cats.

Kayelle 02-09-2013 02:27 PM

I like the gizzard, heart and liver and cook them in the bottom of the roasting pan as a cooks treat. Some people save the neck to throw in a freezer bag with saved chicken parts and bones for making stock.
Liver has lots of iron.

acerbicacid 02-09-2013 02:53 PM

The liver is good fried with bacon, maybe on toast, the heart, gizzard and neck are as Kayelle said, good roasted with the chicken to help make a good gravy, or if you have enough they make good chicken stock, especially if you cut off the extreme wing tips to add to the rest.

Gravy Queen 02-09-2013 03:24 PM

We call them the giblets . Boil them up with some carrot, onion and a bay leaf and seasoning to make lovely stock for gravy .

jabbur 02-09-2013 03:41 PM

We chop them up fine and add them to the dressing at Thanksgiving. It really adds a lot of flavor to the dish. Other times I add them to leftover chicken parts when making stock like the others have said.

legend_018 02-09-2013 04:17 PM

WHen you speak aobut "stock" is that the same term is broth? I plan on taking the carcass, leftover bones and some of the chicken to make chicken broth tomorrow. I could also throw the neck into the pot also? Of course I'll be putting in veggies and spices as well. I gather just like with the rest, you'd discard the neck after your broth is complete.

pacanis 02-09-2013 04:59 PM

Whenever I have a bag o parts I make this recipe for giblet gravy Giblet Gravy Recipe
Since I'm cooking a whole roasting chicken, I may as well make some extra special gravy to go with it. Good stuff.

Kayelle 02-09-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legend_018 (Post 1237743)
WHen you speak aobut "stock" is that the same term is broth? I plan on taking the carcass, leftover bones and some of the chicken to make chicken broth tomorrow. I could also throw the neck into the pot also? Of course I'll be putting in veggies and spices as well. I gather just like with the rest, you'd discard the neck after your broth is
complete.

Yes, throw in the roasted neck also and discard.

I always thought "stock" and "broth" were interchangeable, but I found this interesting. What's the Difference? Stock vs. Broth | The Kitchn

JanaAZ 02-09-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legend_018 (Post 1237743)
WHen you speak aobut "stock" is that the same term is broth? I plan on taking the carcass, leftover bones and some of the chicken to make chicken broth tomorrow. I could also throw the neck into the pot also? Of course I'll be putting in veggies and spices as well. I gather just like with the rest, you'd discard the neck after your broth is complete.

Sometimes it's just semantics, but generally speaking, stock is made with the bones and broth is made with the meat. I tend to use them interchangeably, though. I think many people do.