The bag of parts that come in the chicken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My MIL would ocme to dinner. I would make her a mess of chicken livers and me a big ole plate of beef liver. With lots of onions and a baked potato of course. We were both happy. :angel:

I season them with salt, pepper and some chillies, then grill and eat with a dash of lemon.
I don't eat the actual chicken so the bag of bits is just for me :)

For beginners: The liver is the biggest piece, probably, dark red and soft. The gizzard is tougher and looks like two pieces connected by a band of cartilage.
The heart is the small piece.

I don't use the liver in gravy or broth, because I don't like the flavor. The gizzard is a very muscle-y, tough piece, and needs long cooking to be tasty. I use the neck, gizzard and heart to make broth for my gravy.

All this applies to turkey, too, of course!

Keep in mind that the liver is often bitter. . :angel:

Chicken livers are only bitter if you don't clean them well, i.e. cut off the green parts, or you overcook them. That's why I only ate them as a kid if my mom cooked them or now if I cook them.

Beef liver bitterness? Can't talk about that as I just can't get past the smell of it to try it, gag inducing for me. My poor mother loved beef liver and onions but would only eat it out at one particular place (she always ordered it when we went there) or cook it for herself if my Dad and I weren't around as it would just send me running for the bathroom every time she tried to cook it in the house. My dad had pretty much the same reaction as me, although not as extreme. He'd eat chicken livers fried, although they weren't his favorite, never complained about them being bitter, just wasn't overly fond of the taste.

Hi. Those are organ meats - usually the heart, liver and gizzard - and have a lot of protein and iron; because of that, they have a mineraly taste. Some people like to bread and fry them; some use them to make stock for gravy. We cook them with a little butter in a small pan and chop them up for a treat for the cats.
I cook them in a small pan with a little butter, dip them in Dijon, and snack on them while I finish the rest of the meal.

Kentucky Fried formerly sold them off menu deep fried in their secret spice breading. Sadly they seem to be gone now.

I once had the brilliant idea to save the livers so I'd have enough for a meal of fried chicken livers. I love em.

The gizzards were used for gravy.

Needless to say my idea of saving enough for a meal was quickly discouraged by Lucy & Ethel (My sweet kitties). I just couldn't resist there begging for any part that didn't go onto the stove or into the pot right then and there.

So now the parts from the bags are designated as cat food.

They love it and I love them so it's a win /win situation.

I'll just have to buy enough chicken livers if I want them for dinner. And I'm sure Lucy & Ethel will get a taste. :rolleyes:

I remembered there was a little in the freezer, already cooked, had it for my lunch...happy now.

Yum :yum: I've still got 2 servings in my freezer too, think I should make peri- peri livers for myself tomorrow night. Hubby and kids asked for chicken. I've stopped trying to eat chicken. I'll have livers instead :angel:

I still have some in my freezer, too!
From way back when when I made Sipper's brandy/chicken liver sauce :chef:
They probably are freezer burned by now :rolleyes:
I should have fed them to the dogs. I'm OK eating beef liver, but won't eat chicken liver unless I am chopping it up and doing something with it.

I still have some in my freezer, too!
From way back when when I made Sipper's brandy/chicken liver sauce :chef:
They probably are freezer burned by now :rolleyes:
I should have fed them to the dogs. I'm OK eating beef liver, but won't eat chicken liver unless I am chopping it up and doing something with it.

Oh my word Pac! That was ages ago :LOL:
You could poison your enemies with it :angel:

I love liver but no one else in my house will eat it or eat a gravy with that taste. It's a big hit with the dogs though.

I love liver but no one else in my house will eat it or eat a gravy with that taste. It's a big hit with the dogs though.

Just make a small portion for you. I always make liver for myself when it's bangers and mash or chicken night. My favourite is creamy peri peri chicken liver. :yum:

When I found out Shrek liked liver I hit him on the head and dragged him back to my cave...now there was a man I could grow old with.:rolleyes:

I remember when nobody wanted chicken livers in the early '80s, and they were like 24 cents/pound. I used to make all kinds of creative (and some not so imaginative like "chicken livers with onions) recipes. Now they're like $1.50/$2.00 per pound. PPL discovered you can make good stuff with chicken livers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom