Snip's Peppered Ostrich Fillet (Tenderloin)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
I love ostrich and we eat it often but this is a family favourite :)
If you can't find ostrich, venison would work well in this recipe too.

Marinade:

2 cups of soy sauce
4 tsps of green peppercorns (drained from brine)
4 tsps of grated fresh ginger
2 tbsps of apple cider vinegar

6 x 7 or 8 ounce ostrich fillet medalions
freshly cracked black pepper

Mix all the marinade ingredients well and place fillets in a ziplock bag. Pour over the marinade and seal the packet. Rub marinade into meat and refridgerate for 1-2 hours. Take fillets out of the marinade (reserve marinade) and season with cracked black pepper on all sides. Sear steaks on both sides in a medium pan in vegetable oil or light olive oil. In a seperate pan reduce marinade over a low flame till slightly thickened.
Serve steaks with a drizzle of reduced marinade, baby potatoes and carrots and a nice green salad.

I just happened to get some venison today. Do you mean capers re: green peppercorns? I don't think I've ever seen green peppercorns in brine. I love the kick capers add and always have apple cider, ginger and soy sauce on hand, so am sure the venison would be tasty prepared this way.

I've never had green peppercorns either, but I know they are not the same as capers. Capers are a Mediterranean flower bud or something and green peppercorns are unripe peppercorns. They are still peppery.

On my mail order list for my trip to St. Louis and MN at the end of April. Steve--didn't you go to MO recently? Did you find any great places to eat in St. Louis or foodie shops?

sounds really good, thanks snip. c&p'd.

i'd think ostrich filets would take a marinade really well since they are so soft and moust. do you pat your steaks dry before searing for better browning?

Have never tried ostrich, it sounds like something I'd enjoy, and it's obviously not fishy tasting!

Thanks Snip!

Steve--didn't you go to MO recently? Did you find any great places to eat in St. Louis or foodie shops?
We went to MO last year, but were in the western part of state... Branson, KC, and Springfield. I haven't been there for several years, but St. Louis is a lot of fun, too. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

I just happened to get some venison today. Do you mean capers re: green peppercorns? I don't think I've ever seen green peppercorns in brine. I love the kick capers add and always have apple cider, ginger and soy sauce on hand, so am sure the venison would be tasty prepared this way.

As Steve mentioned, green peppercorn are unripe pickled peppercorns. If you can't find them, just leave them out and maybe add a bit of pink peppercorns instead. Different flavour but still good.

sounds really good, thanks snip. c&p'd.

i'd think ostrich filets would take a marinade really well since they are so soft and moust. do you pat your steaks dry before searing for better browning?

Thanks Bucky :) Yes I do pat them dry, I forgot to mention that!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom