Grown up books for a 10 yr old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
Hi all :)
My daughter Cailtin loves reading but she's getting bored with childrens books. She loves humour, mystery and thrillers. I need to find her some more adult books that don't have any scenes of a sexual nature or content that is too grown up in them. They should also be easy to read and not too boring.
Any suggestions?

I was thinking of trying the following 3 but so far it's all I can think of.

The Mysterious Stranger - Mark Twain
Jock of the Busheveld - Percy Fitzpatrick
and
Talking to strange men - Ruth Rendell

She's very mature for her age and knows where babies come from lol!
Just nothing with details of you know what!

Last edited:
Take a look at this link Snip. There are lots of ideas on here. I would suggest you look at some specific authors. Carl Hiassen is one, Cornelia Funke is another. Who else...um...try the Artemis Fowl series too, that was a good 'er.

Take a look at this link Snip. There are lots of ideas on here. I would suggest you look at some specific authors. Carl Hiassen is one, Cornelia Funke is another. Who else...um...try the Artemis Fowl series too, that was a good 'er.

Thanks Alix :) I tried searching online but the suggestions were terrible! One site even suggested To Kill A Mockingbird :rolleyes: I know it's a classic and maybe I have no culture but reading it was like watching paint dry :LOL:

Has she read the Harry Potter series yet, Snip? Another wonderful set of books is the Anne of Green Gables series, by L.M. Montgomery, truly classic. Greek, Roman, Egyptian and Norse mythology books were fun for me at that age. The Narnia series was good. The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books are a hoot, and take place in Botswana! I would second Carl Hiassen.

Check out the Newberry award winners.

Last edited:
Has she read the Harry Potter series yet, Snip? Another wonderful set of books is the Anne of Green Gables series, by L.M. Montgomery, truly classic. Greek, Roman, Egyptian and Norse mythology books were fun for me at that age. The Narnia series was good. The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books are a hoot, and take place in Botswana! I would second Carl Hiassen.

Check out the Newberry award winners.

She's read Harry Potter, Narnia and The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency (bought at the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency Coffee shop in Botswana!) We lived in Botswana up until a year ago.

Forgot about Anne of Green Gables and I'll try some mythology books. Thanks Dawg :)

That link I posted is to the Young Readers Choice Awards. They break down the books by age group, Junior, Intermediate and Senior. I've read a LOT of the books on those lists over the years and the quality is consistently good. They are also chosen and voted upon by readers and the kids are always pleased with them. Hope you find some things she'll enjoy.

I loved Nancy Drew when I was her age. Sherlock Holmes might be interesting, too.

Re the Detective Agency book, has she read the entire series?

I just started rereading "The Secret Garden."

I loved Nancy Drew when I was her age. Sherlock Holmes might be interesting, too.

She should like Nancy Drew, I liked it too and her taste is similar to mine.

Re the Detective Agency book, has she read the entire series?

Yip, she's a book worm like her mother :LOL:

I just started rereading "The Secret Garden."

She is busy with The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgsen Burnett !
Which redition are you reading?

Ok, I've picked 2 suggestions from each of you. I'm going to the library tomorrow to see what I can find. That should keep her busy for a while :)

Thanks Again!

Terry Pratchett, Anne McCaffrey

She likes Terry Pratchett, she's read A hat Full of Sky and Sourcery but I can't find any more at the Library. I'll go look at the book exchange again.

I've written down all the suggested authors, I should find some of the books :)

Last edited:
Has she read any of Madeleine L'Engle's books? My guys liked her series that starts with "A Wrinkle in Time." As for newer books, she might enjoy the Chet and Bernie mysteries starting with "Dog On It" or the Jan Karon Mitford series. Another series she might like would be the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters. They are mysteries set in Egypt and are quite good.

Has she read any of Madeleine L'Engle's books? My guys liked her series that starts with "A Wrinkle in Time." As for newer books, she might enjoy the Chet and Bernie mysteries starting with "Dog On It" or the Jan Karon Mitford series. Another series she might like would be the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters. They are mysteries set in Egypt and are quite good.

Thank you :) We have a very well stocked public library and I'm sure I'll find lots of the suggestions.
I've written it all down for future use. She should be busy with all of these for a long while!

Agatha Christie. Murder mysteries, Miss Marple or Poirot. Who-dun-its About as g rated as colenol mustard in the library with a dastardly weapon game. If she's read Harry Potter, this is lighter suspense than Potter. Besides, did you know Agatha Christie in her younger years was a woman surfer somewhere on the SA coast while on vacation.

Judy Blume books.

The Borrowers by Mary Norton, 5 books in the series. About little people who we donot see. Great for kids. Personally, I like Anne of Green Gables, never read until I was an adult. Nice Nice Nice.

READING books is such a treasure we can carry as we grow. ENCOURAGE your kids at this age, and they will continue to read forever :)

Agatha Christie. Murder mysteries, Miss Marple or Poirot. Who-dun-its About as g rated as colenol mustard in the library with a dastardly weapon game. If she's read Harry Potter, this is lighter suspense than Potter. Besides, did you know Agatha Christie in her younger years was a woman surfer somewhere on the SA coast while on vacation.

Judy Blume books.

The Borrowers by Mary Norton, 5 books in the series. About little people who we donot see. Great for kids. Personally, I like Anne of Green Gables, never read until I was an adult. Nice Nice Nice.

READING books is such a treasure we can carry as we grow. ENCOURAGE your kids at this age, and they will continue to read forever :)

Thank you Whisk :) Caitlin loves reading so I don't need to encourage it but I do anyway.
All the woman in my family love to read and we all started very young. Hope Caitlin keeps her love for literature!

The old classics' are always good, just do not let her read Arabian nights, at least not the full version.

Connie Willis...Charles DeLint...

Look in the adult section for more Pratchett and if you can find his series, called here, The Bromiliad (Truckers, Diggers and Wings) 3 books, she will be enchanted.

Back
Top Bottom