Source for good citron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justplainbill

Executive Chef
Now that I have a nearly 2 year supply of citron halves, I can recommend Kalustyans as a source for unchopped citron. Many who do not like citron have not tasted 'good' citron. Used to buy it from a shop in Boston but they're out of business.

Thanks for the tip!

How do you store it when you buy a large quantity?

In my area the only place I can find it is in an old Italian bakery but, they only stock it from about Thanksgiving until Christmas.

The prices shown on the site appear to be about a third less for most of the candied fruit than I pay in CNY.

I think I will fire off a small order and make some Hot Cross Buns.

Hot cross buns!
Hot cross buns!
One ha' penny, two ha' penny,
Hot cross buns!
If you have no daughters,
Give them to your sons
One ha' penny,
Two ha' penny,
Hot Cross Buns! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

jpb, i did a quick search having no idea what good unchopped citron meant, and i'm still unsure. are you looking for the specific fruit, or a preserved derivative? candied, alcohol, etc..

It lasts as well as most candied preserved fruits. I vacuum pack some for longer term storage. Paradise brand is too gooey(too much corn syrup?), somewhat lacking in flavor, and cut into pieces that are too small.

I've googled citron, had no idea what it was. For a minute I actually thought you mispelled Citroen (The Car) lol!

I now know it's a citrus fruit but what parts are used and how?

I've googled citron, had no idea what it was. For a minute I actually thought you mispelled Citroen (The Car) lol!

I now know it's a citrus fruit but what parts are used and how?
The candied skin / peel is common in some Italian cakes and pastries and in some German cookies.

Attachments

• Citrus_medica_corsican1__LOW__SCL.jpg
    Citrus_medica_corsican1__LOW__SCL.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 715
The candied skin / peel is common in some Italian cakes and pastries and in some German cookies.

Thank you :) One more thing I need to try. I think I've seen them at the Indian grocer. I believe they have little to no juice. Is this true?
Could I make marmalade with Citrons?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't trust google and you seem to know more anyway.

Being Jewish citron is used during Holiday of Sukkot. After, I usually get them from all my friends and make jelly. The last year I somehow got so busy i had no time to make it. I still have couple dried out ones seating in my fridge. Smell good.
But, Bill, you saying you can buy them fresh during the year too?

Being Jewish citron is used during Holiday of Sukkot. After, I usually get them from all my friends and make jelly. The last year I somehow got so busy i had no time to make it. I still have couple dried out ones seating in my fridge. Smell good.
But, Bill, you saying you can buy them fresh during the year too?
I was talking about candied / preserved citron skins / peels. They're about 3/8" thick; and the pieces run about 4" wide by 8 or 9" long.

Thank you :) One more thing I need to try. I think I've seen them at the Indian grocer. I believe they have little to no juice. Is this true?
Could I make marmalade with Citrons?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't trust google and you seem to know more anyway.
Sounds like that's what Charlie does. It's a bit too expensive around here to use it for marmalade but I do like bitter marmalade.

Sounds like that's what Charlie does. It's a bit too expensive around here to use it for marmalade but I do like bitter marmalade.

Thank you :) I'll try it as soon as I find some. Citrus fruit is cheap by us and as far as I can remember the fruit I saw that looked like citron was relatively inexpensive.

Citron is dried peels of citrus fruit that you find in that dreaded holiday fruit cake. When dried and sweetened properly, they make good munchings. I love the smell of citron. But then what citrus fruit doesn't smell heavenly. :angel:

It is indeed, and when done properly it is heavenly. Don't go to the "expensive" part, you have no idea what it takes to get a nice one here in MN. We are talking $$$

DH's grandma used to candy citrus peel, grapefruit as I recall, boiling the peel in sugar syrup, drying, and boiling in syrup again, then drying again. It was delicious. Is this similar?

Last edited:
Charlie, I know you cook only Kosher. And since the Islamic diet is very close to the Jewish one, do yo ever shop from one of their stores? :angel:

Charlie, I know you cook only Kosher. And since the Islamic diet is very close to the Jewish one, do yo ever shop from one of their stores? :angel:

I'm sorry Addie, I have no idea where you got the idea that our diets are close. Not at all, the only similarity is that pork is prohibited in both. We/I cannot buy anything in one of their stores, unless it is kosher of course, so the answer is no.

I'm sorry Addie, I have no idea where you got the idea that our diets are close. Not at all, the only similarity is that pork is prohibited in both. We/I cannot buy anything in one of their stores, unless it is kosher of course, so the answer is no.

Thank you Charlie. Another lesson learned. As I said before, I love learning about other religions. I am always searching for knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom