Bees and Colony Collapse Disorder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
In my Master Gardener class, we had a very interesting lecture on bees last night, from the president of the Beekeepers Guild of Southeastern Virginia. One of the things she talked about was Colony Collapse Disorder, a problem that has been killing bees worldwide. I found this article from Harvard University about their research into this problem.

Use of common pesticide linked to bee colony collapse

She also said that right now, almond growers in California are unable to find enough bees to pollinate the almond trees. Apparently, they pay to have hives brought in when the trees begin to bloom. So expect higher prices for almonds and almond milk this year.

Almond growers pay record prices amid bee shortage

In my Master Gardener class, we had a very interesting lecture on bees last night, from the president of the Beekeepers Guild of Southeastern Virginia. One of the things she talked about was Colony Collapse Disorder, a problem that has been killing bees worldwide. I found this article from Harvard University about their research into this problem.

She also said that right now, almond growers in California are unable to find enough bees to pollinate the almond trees. Apparently, they pay to have hives brought in when the trees begin to bloom. So expect higher prices for almonds and almond milk this year.

If only we could get government officials to outlaw the pesticide, as they did with DDT. But then, DDT was sold to other nations, when the companies making it could no longer sell it in the U.S.

It isn't stated that money is the root of all evil. It is stated that the love of money is the root of all evil. Evidence bears that out. Short term profit mentality is, and has been guiding too much of our world-wide civilization for too long. That's my humble opinion. And in our world philosophy where we compete against each other, instead of cooperating with each other, for everything, it won't change any time soon. And that too, is my humble opinion.

I have to battle against various un-named people to grow dandelions in my yard, plants that flower early, and provide food for bees, and other insects. I am just not a fan of manicured lawns. They waste too many resources. I like the world the way it was made, not how we try to make it. But I'm the odd man out on this one. I'm definitely in the minority. I'm a trouble maker. I want the world to work properly, as designed by whatever force you believe designed it.

I've been keeping up with the bee problem for several years. This new information is exciting, if it is used quickly enough. But I'm cynical. I hope my cynicism is unfounded.

I'm sorry about the rant from the prospect that it's pointed at the wrong people. We don't sell this subtance. And we have virtually no control about whether it will remain on the market. And I fear, that unless a law is made, whereby it is illegal to produce this stuff, it will be sold somewhere. I'm just tired of watching a few people ruing this planet thatyou, me, and my kids and grandkids live on.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:

There was a special on this on NatGeo (or one of them) last year.
They said they traced it to something to do with slow acting fertilizers that work by getting into the root system of the plants.
I don't know about the higher prices though. Just about any crop or commercial farm hires beekeepers to come in and pollinate the plants with their hives, some travelling through several states in a circuit. The beekeepers make big money from that and their honey sales is just a by-product. There was even something in USA Today last year about one of their semis overturning and creating a real situation on the highway when the bees got out.

Fascinating stuff for sure.

Did you read the study, or this article about the study? The article is not on a scientific journal site and the link to the study on that page is broken.

I read about the study. Your right it is broken. Well crap.

I am not disagreeing with your post with the pesticide. Pesticides are made to kill insects. Bees are insects. I am just trying to say that there could be more than one place to lay the blame.

On a happier note I was glad to see hundreds of bees in our soybean fields a few weeks back. They were very busy.

I read about the study. Your right it is broken. Well crap.

I am not disagreeing with your post with the pesticide. Pesticides are made to kill insects. Bees are insects. I am just trying to say that there could be more than one place to lay the blame.

On a happier note I was glad to see hundreds of bees in our soybean fields a few weeks back. They were very busy.

Do you bring in the bees or are they wild ones? :angel:

I'm always excited to see our little honeys and bumbles doing their thing. We're surrounded on 3 sides by timber, and I grow a large variety of flowers along with letting a whole bunch of "wild flowers" AKA weeds, grow.

I'm always excited to see our little honeys and bumbles doing their thing. We're surrounded on 3 sides by timber, and I grow a large variety of flowers along with letting a whole bunch of "wild flowers" AKA weeds, grow.

Do you remember when Lady Bird Johnson wanted everyone to plant wild flowers along our highways? :angel:

nj had a program for that a number of years back. they planted wildflowers all along the nj turnpike and the garden state parkway.

the turnpike and parkway authority boneheads ended up mowing most of them down when they were cutting the grass on the medians.

i love to show the neighborhood kids how not to be afraid of most bees. the kids are amazed when i show them that you can actually pet a bee when it's busy with its head buried in a flower.

i've always wanted an apiary, but dw is severely allergic to bee stings.

nj had a program for that a number of years back. they planted wildflowers all along the nj turnpike and the garden state parkway.

the turnpike and parkway authority boneheads ended up mowing most of them down when they were cutting the grass on the medians.

i love to show the neighborhood kids how not to be afraid of most bees. the kids are amazed when i show them that you can actually pet a bee when it's busy with its head buried in a flower.

i've always wanted an apiary, but dw is severely allergic to bee stings.

When I was taking, and later teaching, swimming lessons in Ontario, we ran barefoot across a big meadow to get to the lake. The whole field was alive with clover and bees. They always stung the heck out of everyone's feet, but it was expected. No way we were gonna wear shoes!

Last edited:
Do you bring in the bees or are they wild ones? :angel:

I am going to assume they are wild. I know almost everyone that farms a good 10 mile radious all around us and I have never seen any hives or heard of anyone that has any. We did not bring them in. I would like to bring some in. I love honey.

I don't know if this is true, but I have heard that CCD has not been affecting wild bees to nearly the same extent as the domestic ones.

I read an interesting article from NPR today about a potential bee vaccine. Rather than start a new tread, I thought I'd shake the pollen off of this one.

The vaccine being tested is not for CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder), rather it's for a different bacterial threat known as American foulbrood, or AFB. It's good to know that someone, somewhere, is working on keeping our friends the bees safe.

World's First Insect Vaccine Could Help Bees Fight Off Deadly Disease

Good thing the vaccine can be delivered by means of an edible. I'd hate to be the entomologist that needed to use a tiny needle to inject a tiny dose into each bee. :ohmy: I don't care how docile some bees can be - Goober has been known to carry a very social bumblebee around on his finger tip, like a tiny yellow canary.

Ta out 6 months ago I heard a thing on the radio while in my car. They were taking about bees and pollination and some dude was saying that scientists are working on tiny drone bees that will take over doing the bees business. I thought they were joking to start with but they weren't, really weird drone bees?

Russ

Back
Top Bottom