Juicing a lime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

musiclvr56

Assistant Cook
I cut my lime in half and no juice came out-I believe it is because my kitchen isn't warm. I read that you can microwave a lime BEFORE you cut it in half. I wasted one half, but don't want to waste the other half-too late to microwave? I keep my house cool so I may have a problem squeezing juice out of limes. Thanks!

The lime may be "dry" inside. I have run across some pretty juiceless limes. Even rolling and using a press yields little juice.

I agree with what Craig says. Some limes just don't have much juice. When purchasing limes, what you want to look for is fruit that feels heavy for its size and has a little bit of "give" when you gently squeeze it. Another tip: limes that are bright green aren't ripe and won't have as much juice. Look for limes that are a bit more yellowish in color.

I seem to be finding more dry limes in the store than in years past. That's caused by lack of water for the tree and sometimes poor soil. So it may be drought-related.

I'm not at all reluctant to tell this to the produce staff and ask to cut one open before buying a bag of them.

And yes. If I leave them to ripen on the tree, they are completely yellow.

Any citrus can be dry. I've had oranges which you couldn't get a drop of juice from.

We're lucky down here as locally grown limes are readily available. It's one of the most common ingredients in Bahamian cooking. In a great many marinades which call for lemon, I substitute lime. It's a common ingredient in chicken dishes.

The citrus that I have found to have the largest portion of "dry" fruit are Seville (sour) oranges here. I believe limes (Persian) grown in Florida are actually grafted onto a lemon as they won't grow otherwise and if not cared for properly, will revert back to lemon.

It probably would be worth a shot to microwave the other half, though it may not help. Have bought plenty of dry limes here too. Recently I lucked out with a big bag of limes from Costco, all have been very nice and juicy. I've also found the smooth-skinned limes, in general, are juicier than the thicker skinned, rougher limes.

Last edited:
It probably would be worth a shot to microwave the other half, though it may not help. Have bought plenty of dry limes here too. Recently I lucked out with a big bag of limes from Costco, all have been very nice and juicy. I've also found the smooth-skinned limes, in general, are juicier than the thicker skinned, rougher limes.

Huh, I always look for the rough, thick skinned limes because I think they look nicer. I'll have to see if I notice they are dryer next time. Thanks!

I have heard/read variously that 10-15 seconds in the microwave will make the lemon or lime give more juice. Also that rolling it on the counter with pressure will break up the little cells and allow it to give more juice. I do both.

However, if the fruit is dry inside, it doesn't much matter what you do.

If you buy a bag of limes, you're bound to get a dud or two.

Pet Peeve: This is why a recipe measurement such as "juice of a lime" is imprecise.

I have heard/read variously that 10-15 seconds in the microwave will make the lemon or lime give more juice. Also that rolling it on the counter with pressure will break up the little cells and allow it to give more juice. I do both.

However, if the fruit is dry inside, it doesn't much matter what you do.

If you buy a bag of limes, you're bound to get a dud or two.

Pet Peeve: This is why a recipe measurement such as "juice of a lime" is imprecise.

I've thought that about "juice of one lemon/lime" measurements too! It depends on how thoroughly you juice it too

I always give limes 12 seconds in the microwave (don't why I picked 12 vs 10 or 15, but it works for me). The only ones that are still dry after that are the ones that I've found in the bottom of the salad crisper - most of the others give a reasonable amount of juice.

So when you stand there in the produce department, and the lemons and limes are piled 100-200 hundred high, do you check every one before you make a decision?

Welcome to DC. :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
So when you stand there in the produce department, and the lemons and limes are piled 100-200 hundred high, do you check every one before you make a decision?

Welcome to DC. :angel:

It's not necessary to check each one. Just check until you have the number you want.

Back
Top Bottom