Convection Fryers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Has anyone here on DC had experience with these appliances? Supposedly they allow you to "fry" foods in a healthier way with very little oil. I'm not looking for anything that will cook huge amounts of food, as it's just the missus and myself most of the time. Rather I'm looking for something that will make crispy fries, chicken, fish without using a lot of oil to do the job. Currently I make a lot of oven-fried foods, but it still requires a fair amount of oil to coat the foods.

Amazon reviews seem somewhat mixed.

Amazon.com: Secura Infrared Convection Countertop TurboFry Oven 997MC: Kitchen & Dining

Last edited:
Has anyone here on DC had experience with these appliances? Supposedly they allow you to "fry" foods in a healthier way with very little oil. I'm not looking for anything that will cook huge amounts of food, as it's just the missus and myself most of the time. Rather I'm looking for something that will make crispy fries, chicken, fish without using a lot of oil to do the job. Currently I make a lot of oven-fried foods, but it still requires a fair amount of oil to coat the foods.

Amazon reviews seem somewhat mixed.

Amazon.com: Secura Infrared Convection Countertop TurboFry Oven 997MC: Kitchen & Dining

I looked at the reviews. Mostly five star. But the one star ones seem to have some serious problems. When I see that the five stars out weigh the two stars, I can't help but wonder if it is mostly the fault of the user. Have you looked at any other ovens similar to this one? :angel:

They're relatively new, so I haven't seen a lot of them. The other model I've looked at is this one but it sells for $300.

One of my Facebook friends is actually working with a manufacturer to develop one of these. It won't be out until later in the year, though.

Last edited:
They're relatively new, so I haven't seen a lot of them. The other model I've looked at is this one but it sells for $300.

One of my Facebook friends is actually working with a manufacturer to develop one of these. It won't be out until later in the year, though.

That is a bit pricey. But the worst review was only four stars. The first one had more five stars. And the two four stars sounded like it was the user's fault and not that of the product. One review stated that she found a crack in the bowl after "gentle handling" when cleaning it. From the other reviews, the booklet states how to handle the bowl when cleaning. Such as letting it cool completely.

Have you ever considered asking your friend if you could be one of the testers? A lot of companies pay folks for participating in field trials. And you get to keep the product at the end of the trials. :angel:

Have you ever considered asking your friend if you could be one of the testers? A lot of companies pay folks for participating in field trials. And you get to keep the product at the end of the trials. :angel:
That's a thought. I would hate to impose, but maybe a couple of well-placed hints...

That's a thought. I would hate to impose, but maybe a couple of well-placed hints...

Ask him if they, meaning the manufacturing company, are doing any field trials. That is a question even I would ask in the conversation even though I wouldn't be interested in participating. By asking about the manf. co. it isn't directed at him personally. It takes him out of the equation. If you get a yes, continue with "have any results come in yet". If the answer is 'yes', then ask if they need any more participants. You can carry the conversation on from there. I often ask my doctors if there are any trials going on. So far I have participated in about eight. And the pay was good. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom