One red and one yellow pepper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Yesterday while at the grocery store I bought a red and a yellow bell pepper because I could not remember if the recipe I was following needed them or not. It didn't.
So BESIDES the usual fajitas I typically make using these colorful peppers, is there another SIMPLE recipe that would feature, or make their use, worthwhile? No salads please ;)

Yesterday while at the grocery store I bought a red and a yellow bell pepper because I could not remember if the recipe I was following needed them or not. It didn't.
So BESIDES the usual fajitas I typically make using these colorful peppers, is there another SIMPLE recipe that would feature, or make their use, worthwhile? No salads please ;)
have any ground meat? you can mix it with rice and stuff the peppers we love them with ground pork and rice,onion,parsley grlic.
kades

Sausages with fried onions and peppers. On a plate or or on a bun. Either way, down the hatch they go...Italian Sausage, Peppers, and Onions Recipe - Allrecipes.com

https://www.google.ca/search?q=saus...CN6KUywGZpYCIBg&ved=0CHYQsAQ&biw=1227&bih=591

+1 on the salsicce con pepperoni. although a recipe may not be needed it's so simple. just the directions.

grill or griddle the sausages (i like premio brand if you can get it, pac) until almost cooked through, then saute two sliced onions and peppers for a few minutes in evoo over medium heat. add the sausages to the peppers and onions, cover, and cook over medium for just a few minutes more to finish cooking the sausages. it's all done in about 15 to 20 minutes.

serve on hero rolls with a little sauce on the side and grated cheese if you like. that's pretty much the way it's done at dozens and dozens of booths at the boardwalk on the jersey shore.

Last edited:
Sausage and peppers, duh. It's been so long since I made this is completely skipped my feeble mind :wacko: Probably because I always use the cheaper green peppers, but yellow and red would set it off nicely, especially with hot sausage :yum:

I'll keep the stuffed peppers in mind, Kades. I've never made those before and have been meaning to.

Sausage and peppers it is. I just need to pick up some decent sub rolls.

Sausage and peppers, duh. It's been so long since I made this is completely skipped my feeble mind :wacko: Probably because I always use the cheaper green peppers, but yellow and red would set it off nicely, especially with hot sausage :yum:

I'll keep the stuffed peppers in mind, Kades. I've never made those before and have been meaning to.

You could make the S&P into a sauce over pasta...

In our family, we serve sausage and peppers as the meat dish. I partially freeze the sausage and then slice into medallions. Also when sliced it is easier to eat in a sub. :angel:

We always put a couple of bell pepper colors, along with onions and garlic, in our meat sauce for spaghetti. Sometimes I use short pasta and bake it instead.

pac, in stealing andy's idea, f you can't get good sausage at a particular time but have access to shoulder blade pork chops or pork rib ends try making pork and peppers in sauce. one of my faves.

pat dry, s&p, then brown the chops or meaty rib ends well in olive oil. put into a deep pot with enough tomato sauce to cover them over medium low heat to simmer. after they've simmered about an hour and are getting soft but not fall off the bone yet, saute some garlic, onions, and peppers and add to the pork and sauce with some dried oregano and basil. let simmer a while longer until the meat is seperating from the bones. serve over pasta with lots of grated cheese.

it's sort of a poor man's veal and peppers. i remember ee tried the veal a while back, but making a sauce from scratch while doing this can be tricky with too much water or inferior tomatoes. just use a jarred sauce you like.

I always grab the "colored" peppers when they are on the 50% off rack. I bring them home, chop them up, toss them in a zippie, freeze them and then use them in stir fries. I do the same with celery when it is on sale/special.

I always grab the "colored" peppers when they are on the 50% off rack. I bring them home, chop them up, toss them in a zippie, freeze them and then use them in stir fries. I do the same with celery when it is on sale/special.
As you probably already know, in the larger grocery stores around here, the colored peppers have been packaged in rainbow packs. 4 per pack. Usully 2 red, 1 yellow, and 1 orange. They end up being the better deal per pound. Mind you, you have to use them up. That's why you always see peppers in just about everything I cook. lol. My girlfriend despises green peppers so I rarely use them any more.

As you probably already know, in the larger grocery stores around here, the colored peppers have been packaged in rainbow packs. 4 per pack. Usully 2 red, 1 yellow, and 1 orange. They end up being the better deal per pound. Mind you, you have to use them up. That's why you always see peppers in just about everything I cook. lol. My girlfriend despises green peppers so I rarely use them any more.

What a rip. We only get three/pack down here, red, yellow and orange. They are still usually the better buy though. And fresher appearing.

With more than one colour of pepper, I would probably want to make a pretty ratatouille. Don't peel the eggplant or it turns out kinda grey.

What a rip. We only get three/pack down here, red, yellow and orange. They are still usually the better buy though. And fresher appearing.

All our produce is loose and you choose your own. Only the old stuff is packaged and price to sell quickly. Sometimes you can get a really good bargain. If you are going to use it that night or the next day. :angel:

All our produce is loose and you choose your own. Only the old stuff is packaged and price to sell quickly. Sometimes you can get a really good bargain. If you are going to use it that night or the next day. :angel:
I'll grab peppers off of the clearance rack if I feel up to roasting and marinating them the same day....

I'll grab peppers off of the clearance rack if I feel up to roasting and marinating them the same day....

My town store doesn't have a clearance rack.
I think they buy their produce from other stores' clearance racks :ermm:
That's why the pre-packaged peppers they buy often appear fresher and less wrinkled. Same for any of their produce really, unless it's in season.

My town store doesn't have a clearance rack.
I think they buy their produce from other stores' clearance racks :ermm:
That's why the pre-packaged peppers they buy often appear fresher and less wrinkled. Same for any of their produce really, unless it's in season.
It's hit and miss around here also. Sometimes it seems the worse the vegetables are, the more they ask for them...Not sure who is buying wrinkled green peppers at 267 per lb. I know I ain't....

Back
Top Bottom