What food do you miss because you're allergic/intolerant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
Over the years, I've become intolerant to many foods and allergic to some, but the one thing that I miss most is onions! I can still eat green onions only, but any of the others make me dreadfully ill.
However, I do still make french onion soup... it just takes about 50 little green onions to make a pot! :LOL:

For me it's clams. I used to love clams but developed a serious allergic reaction to them in my late teens. No more clams for me.

The older I get the harder for me to digest dairy products which I love. I used to be able to drink a half of a gallon of milk in one seating, actually drank a whole one, one for a bet, but I was 18 or 19 then, simply stupid. I love farmer’s cheese, but if I have some for breakfast, I may or may not make it to work nowadays. Sad.

I have lots of food allergies. Some make me tired, others give me hives and others put me in anaphalactic shock. Out of it all, I guess I miss eggs the most. I also miss fish/shellfish. I can't even touch them.

I really miss potato chips! I LOVE them a LOT and choose not to eat them because they are the one food that I just can't exercise any self control with!

Great willpower Janet =0)

One of my intolerances (SOY) has had a FANTASTIC impact on me.

Eating anything made with soy makes me sick, and cutting it out of my world has made me all the healthier. First I lost 10 pounds the first month I had cut it out. Then I had more energy and I stopped getting as sick, as often. It's been about 4+ years and I love it!

- -the one soy I can eat is the soy lecithin that is in some chocolate products like a few brands of chocolate chips, but all those packaged things at the market, and all fried and/or fast food items are completely out. It's also got about 20 names, so I have to read every label, which makes me all that much more knowledgeable about what I am (or am not) eating =0)

For me it's clams. I used to love clams but developed a serious allergic reaction to them in my late teens. No more clams for me.

And your a New Englander. You have my sympathy. Spike brought me a great big bunch of them the other night. There were enough that I was really full when I was finished. From now on I will think of you every time I have fried clams or clam chowder. :angel:

I don't have allergies or intolerances, but I have an intestinal stricture (narrowed area), so I can't eat high-fiber foods or they might cause a blockage. One food I miss is Japanese seawood salad. Last time I had one, I spent four days in the hospital.

Another is hot dogs. The last time I ate one, I almost ended up in the hospital, and I spent the evening in agony. Did you know they don't break down?

Because my kidneys dont work I have to watch what I drink or consume anything that turns liquid after ingestion, like jello or popcicles, Oh well I'm just glad to be alive.:) I also have to watch the proteins i ingest need a lot and meat is not my favorite thing to eat. So far nothing I'm allergic to but I know that day will come.I have to watch my phoperous(sp) levels it makes me say aint life grand?????
kades

Avocados! I used to eat them plain with just a little salt, and loved them! But, a few years ago, I started having weird reactions - mainly light headedness/slight dizziness, and a little nausea. Very strange.

I started reacting to melons, like cantelope, honeydew, watermelon, in junior high.

When I was around 24 I was emergency room allergic to melon!

I was really bummed, as I love it.

Worse, though, is that melon is everywhere !! I can't eat most fruit salads, can't sit in a conference room with leftover breakfast fruit. Have to send back plates that unexpectedly come garnished with melon.

Sad ...

Another is that my partner is allergic to cows milk so I go through a pound of butter in 2 years. I miss it.

For me it is the iodine that is in scallops. I will order them and if I can taste the iodine with the first bit, I have to spit it out immediately. My face and other parts of my body swell up and I become an almost code blue patient in the ER.

I love scallops. If I don't taste any iodine, I will very cautiously eat them. I cut them all into four pieces and eat them very slow. One time when I was dating my second husband, I ordered scallops and that is when the allergy showed up. The restaurant owner took one look at me and called for an ambulance immediatly. I may try to eat them about every two years now. :angel:

I'm allergic to seafood (shellfish) but not deadly allergic. I love seafood so I sometimes drink my celestamine and eat some anyway.
I used to be allergic to pineapple and I love the taste but discovered that I am no longer allergic about 4 years ago.

I get ill when I eat very fatty, spicy or acidic foods because of my IBS. Same with white bread and cakes etc. This drives me nuts since I can't really eat anything besides very healthy foods without getting ill and I miss spice!!!!!

Avocados! I used to eat them plain with just a little salt, and loved them! But, a few years ago, I started having weird reactions - mainly light headedness/slight dizziness, and a little nausea. Very strange.

Merstar - I think I wouldn't be able to handle that one. I eat at least 5 each week. I'm so sorry! :( You know what - I got a horrible reaction like you're describing after eating guacamole a friend had made (even saw spots- not like migraine spots...just spots)... turns out it was something like a rancidity of one of the other ingredients.

I'm not allergic to anything, but I'm not supposed to have unfermented soy.

My problem is mostly when a manufacturer changes the ingredients. I used to get President's Choice Italian meatballs and Swedish meatballs. They were tasty and made of real food. Very handy to have in the freezer. Now they contain soy protein. Same with my favourite brand of Jamaican style patties: now they contain soy protein.

Back
Top Bottom