Which would you choose and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't used a PC in over 30 years. They look different now. Let us know which you choose.

I have to say I have never used a pressure cooker so am no help to you .40. They scare the daylights out of me.

In my days as a chef in training I used to pull creme brulees out of the bain marie (still in the oven) with my bare hands so as not to disturb the skin, but I could never work up the courage to try a pressure cooker. :wacko::LOL:

I too will be interested in your choice!

I have to say I have never used a pressure cooker so am no help to you .40. They scare the daylights out of me.

In my days as a chef in training I used to pull creme brulees out of the bain marie (still in the oven) with my bare hands so as not to disturb the skin, but I could never work up the courage to try a pressure cooker. :wacko::LOL:

I too will be interested in your choice!

They are a little scary aren't they. That's the main reason I'm looking for top quality. I would feel very uncomfortable using a $49 piece of chinese junk made by the lowest bidder.

I use a $20 cheap, aluminum pressure cooker that I purchased at a discount store about a year ago. I've also used a $150 pressure cooker/canner. Both have similar safety features, and do the job quite nicely.

The pressure cooker become dangerous only if the pressure inside the pot is trapped beyond the strengths of the materials used in its construction. My PC is made of aluminum, which I seasoned in the oven. The lid is of the same material, but unseasoned. The only way the device could fail is if I cooked something that clogged the pressure regulator. This is a simple device that is weighted to lift when the inside pressure of the vessel reaches 10 lbs. When it lifts, it allow a small amount of steam to escape through the valve it sits upon. This steam is vented though four holes in the weight (pressure regulator). If I were to boil some food that is frothy, or overfill the pot so that food, or starches could clog the valve, then the lid is made so that the gasket will push out long before dangerous pressures are reached, releasing the pressure. If that failed, then there is a pressed in safety valve that will litterlly pop out of the lid, opening a hole through which pressure can escape.

I don't think I could cause my PC to explode. If I were careless enough to exceed the safe cooking limits of the unit, the worst that could happen is that I could be burned by hot, escaping steam.

If used sensibly, pressure cookers are very safe, and extremely useful. Opening the lid on any of my pots could be as dangerous. Using my knife could be as dangerous. As with any tool, you have to be smarter than the tool. I don't think the PC is smarter than any of us.:LOL:

As for your question, I would choose the Kuhn-Rikon. It's larger, has a steaming trivet, and convenient fill lines. Why would you need the extra pans, when you can fry/sear meats/veggies directly on the pan bottom, and then add the liquid as needed. You get the browning, and the flavor from the fond. Also, the Kuhn Rikon, to me, sounds like it would transfer heat more evenly with the sandwiched aluminum, rather than an aluminum base plate. To me, the bells and whistles of the more expensive PC just don't add up to serious advantages.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks for the inputs. There is no doubt that pressure cookers can be dangerous. Please take care when using yours.

I'm leaning toward the Fissler set because I think I would get more use out of it. In the past, I've only gotten the PC out when I wanted to make up a pot of soup or stew quickly. Seems like the smaller one would be great for sides like rice, barley, or lentils and could see more frequent almost daily use.

The Fissler seems more versatile. I like the glass lid. It seems like it could replace an item or two you might already have... of course, you'd actually have to get rid of the other item or two :angel:

Both makers get good reviews. Kuhn has a definite edge in favorable comments on their customer response to problems.

I used to use a pressure cooker quite a lot, probably because, when I was a child, my working mother used it a lot. Plain old Presto cooker with the jiggling weight.

And while I'm not a fan of adding another counter top appliance, I'm pretty impressed with the new generation of processor controlled pressure cookers with no need to babysit them. Not having to adjust the burner is kind of a nice thing. They get very nice reviews. Also the fact that they're set up for other types of cookery.

81CTqbfQtfL._SL1500_.jpg

I like my electric PC, too. I love punching in the numbers and letting it do its thing.

Another vote for Kuhn Rikon, only because we have one. Well, actually, two. Many years ago I purchased a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker set(?). It consists of a large pot, a smaller almost deep skillet-like pot, glass lid, rack, and pressure lid.

I love the set for the versatility. I can prepare a small meal just for the two of us in the little pressure pan or, when necessary, bring out the big guy and make a lot of my chosen food.

Prior to the Kuhn Rikon I'd had an old Presto. In my early wedded ways in the '60s. I used that one up and then purchased a real workhorse of a pressure cooker made by Revere. I continued to use the Revere one until I could no longer get gaskets. I loved that pot. It was built like a battleship and performed like a champ.

However, I have to say the Kuhn Rikon has been just as good as my wonderful old Revere pressure cooker but allows me flexibility I didn't have with the single large pot.

Last edited:
Kuhn Rikon or the Cuisinart Electric PC - Chefscatalog.com has it in sale for $99. I have the electric and love it after years of playing with them on the stove.

I've got an electric PC on my wish list (I still have room in the basement for more toys). I have one of the old Presto ones, but I'm always nervous using it. I'd like one that had auto shutoff...

Package arrived yesterday. High quality materials and workmanship. Good documentation and small recipe book included. I really like the way the lid was designed, it takes the guess work out of aligning the tabs when closing.

Found an interesting comparison of stovetop pressure cookers that provides lots of good information on the topic:
Stovetop Pressure Cookers - Cook's Illustrated

Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I'll update the thread again in a few days.

I had a Presto pressure cooker with the jiggle valve when my kids were growing up. It got a lot of use. Great for a Sunday Yankee Pot Roast. Good luck with your new toy. Happy cooking and eating. Sounds like you got a winner. :angel:

I got a chance to try this out tonight. Dinner in 1/2 hour.

Braised pork chops in white wine in the pressure skillet. 12 minutes. Transfer to serving platter in warm oven. Build sauce from drippings while next course is cooking.

Green beans and new potatoes in the pressure cooker 10 minutes with potatoes in the bottom and gb in the steamer insert. Add butter and mix together in serving bowl.

Everything came out fork tender and ready to eat. Nice way to make a quick dinner after a long day at the office.

Back
Top Bottom