Dinner Monday 4th March

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you're really kickin' up the curry, kylie!

i'm going to try to get up early and make the crock pot pulled pork that i was supposed to make for the potluck party i skipped on saturday.

i thoight i posted the recipe here a long time ago, but i can't find it. it's gotten 12 five star reviews on food.com since i posted it there many moons ago, so i'll "re" post it here. yes, it's not the real thing with a smoke ring and bark, but for pulled pork it's pretty good and all you have to do after dry rubbing is put it in the slow cooker with onions and a spiced vinegar and forget about it for 4 to 5 hours.

Last edited:
you're really kickin' up the curry, kylie!

i'm going to try to get up early and make the crock pot pulled pork that i was supposed to make for the potluck party i skipped on saturday.

i thoight i posted the recipe here a long time ago, but i can't find it. it's gotten 12 five star reviews on food.com since i posted it there many moons ago, so i'll "re" post it here. yes, it's not the real thing with a smoke ring and bark, but for pulled pork it's pretty good and all you have to do after dry rubbing is put it in the slow cooker with onions and a spiced vinegar and forget about it for 4 to 5 hours.

now that's my kinda cooking--set it, forget it, let it fend for itself.:)
um...what exactly is spiced vinegar, bt?

it's just adding spices to a vinegar. nothing exotic.

the one that i use for the carolina style pulled pork is red wine vinegar, brown mustard, red pepper flakes, powdered cayenne pepper, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and sugar.

here's the link to when i posted it in '06: Spicy Carolina Style Pulled Pork In Crock Pot) Recipe Recipe - Food.com - 191318

i'm sure i posted it here, but i just can't find it. i'll repost it with pictures (and improvements since i've made it more than a dozen times since then) when i make it this week, hopefully today.

I feel like tonight's dinner is right out of an episode of Mad Men. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Shrimp cocktail
Wedge salad w/Russian or creamy blue
Delmonico steak

I'm making mashed potato with homemade meatballs and sauerkraut.

After I've finished the 14 kgs of potatoes I've bought I never want to see another spud lol!
What was I thinking buying so much?! bargain or not, this was way too much potatoes :(

I might take the leftover chicken chimichito mixture and turn it into a casserole... or maybe "Mexican lasagna". I might. It depends if I eat any for lunch in a taco shell and how many.

If I can run out and get some chicken breasts in time, we will be having butter chicken with brown basmati rice and steamed broccoli.

If I don't, it is pretty much up in the air and since we have our main meal in 4 hours I better get cracking! ;)

Sounds good but what is sour cream gravy?
It's a sauce / gravy that goes well with lean pot roasted meats-
  • 2 T flour
  • 2 T butter
  • 2 C broth
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1/4 t pepper
  • 1/2 - 3/4 c sour cream

1. Make a roux of the flour and butter and cook for 3 - 4 minutes.
  2. Whisk in the broth and heat until it begins to bubble and thicken.
  3. Add the salt and pepper.
  4. Take off the heat and add the sour cream,whisking to incorporate.

Didn't make it to the store so will go later and get the chicken for tomorrow. Instead am defrosting some hamburger meat and will make taco salads, each with the foods we can eat - mine will be without sour cream, black olives, tortilla chips and cheese. TB's will have his special cheese and everything I can't.

Edit: TB has decided he wants tacos and I will have taco salad!

Last edited:
Forgot to take anything out of the freezer last night or this morning. I have some pork chops in a sink full of water to thaw. I will find some veggies to have with it, and will fix something else for Hubby to enjoy. Perhaps rice or potatoes of some kind. I'm not quite sure yet.

Nuked some fresh asparagus, and dipped it in Knorr Hollandaise sauce. :yum:

I was inspired by http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/rochs-pork-belly-84590.html#post1244902, so I used up the rest of the pork loin in the fridge (before it could go off) and made a pork roast. We had it with rødkål and mashed root vegis.

IMG_3353.JPG

Back
Top Bottom