Salmon & Orecchiette Pasta Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cerise

Washing Up
This is an easy & colorful salad to put together. I used a small piece of leftover grilled salmon, but canned will work too.

Cook 4 cups of orecchiette pasta in boiling water until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water in a colander. In a large serving bowl, combine the pasta, 1 1/2 cups thawed frozen peas, 1 stalk chopped celery, 1/2 chopped red onion, 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley, and 2 small cans salmon (or fresh cooked salmon). Whisk together about 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1/2 tsp dijon mustard, & salt and pepper, to taste, in a small bowl. Pour dressing over the salad & gently toss. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

If you're not a salmon fan or don't have it on hand, tuna is another way to go. I recently picked up Bumblebee's Albacore tuna in olive oil w/ sun-dried tomatoes. I'll give that a try next time.

Albacore Tuna with sun-dried tomatoes & Olive Oil.png

This is an easy & colorful salad to put together. I used a small piece of leftover grilled salmon, but canned will work too.

I'm such a fool. I love summer pasta salads, I love orecchiette, but I NEVER thought about using orecchiette to make a pasta salad :shock:

Thanks Cerise!

I use orecchiette for pasta salad all the time. My kids love small pasta or miniture food of any kind lol!
This sounds lovely Cerise :)
Think I'll go for fresh salmon!

I'm such a fool. I love summer pasta salads, I love orecchiette, but I NEVER thought about using orecchiette to make a pasta salad :shock:

Thanks Cerise!

My pleasure, Luca. :) I cook them al dente, & toss gently, so they don't break. I like orecchiette in pasta salads, because the little "scoops" catch the dressing (& and the little peas). The little "ears" look so pretty too. I add them to soups, as well. Enjoy.

I use orecchiette for pasta salad all the time. My kids love small pasta or miniture food of any kind lol!
This sounds lovely Cerise :)
Think I'll go for fresh salmon!

You're welcome, Snip. :)

Luca, I also wanted to mention how much I love pasta & pasta salads. So much so, that I keep several shapes and sizes in clear jars - short & tall. There are so many ways to change it out, i.e. fresh mozzarella balls (boccocinni), fresh steamed & cooled asparagus in place of peas, adding fresh halved cherry or grape tomatoes, subbing the salmon with crab, shrimp or chicken, adding fresh herbs of choice, or a buttermilk (etc.) dressing. Have fun with it. :chef:

Spaghetti carbonara using orecchiette is another way to change out the pasta & make it your own.

Last edited:

Spaghetti carbonara using orecchiette is another way to change out the pasta & make it your own.

Yep, this is another common plague for us Italians pasta eaters & know-it-all :LOL:
We tend to use always the same pasta format with a specific sauce. Which can be proper, but sometimes you just need to experiment a little bit...

Hi all!

Another italian guy in this forum!

I think that carbonara sauce (my first thread is dedicated to it!) have to be used only with certain pasta's formats, like spaghetti or rigatoni. I like it with "mezze maniche": in fact, little pieces of guanciale enter into the pasta, and the result is fantastic!

carbonara+terra+e+mare.JPG

I never tried to combine orecchiette with carbonara sauce, but I'll give it a chance!

PS: was my English understandable???

Hi all!

I think that carbonara sauce (my first thread is dedicated to it!) have to be used only with certain pasta's formats, like spaghetti or rigatoni. I like it with "mezze maniche": in fact, little pieces of guanciale enter into the pasta, and the result is fantastic!

I never tried to combine orecchiette with carbonara sauce, but I'll give it a chance!

Your English is perfectly understandable and charming.

Yep, this is another common plague for us Italians pasta eaters & know-it-all :LOL:
We tend to use always the same pasta format with a specific sauce. Which can be proper, but sometimes you just need to experiment a little bit...

I agree on both counts, Luca. lol. It's great to have mastered the classic & traditional dishes. What floats my cooking boat, is experimenting, & taking a dish to another level. It comes with time & practice, & individual taste.

Hi all!

Welcome to DC :)

I have not tried carbonara w/ rigatoni. (I have made it baked, w/ asparagus, mushrooms, peas, w/ white wine & red pepper flakes, fresh parsley, & on & on.)

I did see your pasta carbonara thread w/ the red angry face emoticon. :ohmy:

I mentioned carbonara w. orechiette, in passing.

I hope you will give this pasta salad a try.

Last edited:
I agree on both counts, Luca. lol. It's great to have mastered the classic & traditional dishes. What floats my cooking boat, is experimenting, & taking a dish to another level. It comes with time & practice, & individual taste.

I would emphasize individual taste... For example, my fiancé almost always likes to eat fusilli, with every kind of sauce :ohmy:

I would emphasize individual taste... For example, my fiancé almost always likes to eat fusilli, with every kind of sauce :ohmy:

I guess the wedding is off. :LOL:

(Luca, you remind me of a producer I worked with once upon a time. Are you hiding from the paparazzi behind those dark glasses. ;) xoxo)

This thread has taken more turns than a GPS. LOL

Seriously, though, it's a recipe for pasta salad w/ salmon, peas, onions w/ red wine mustard vinaigrette dressing.

I hope you will give it a try. :)

Last edited:
I have not tried carbonara w/ rigatoni. (I have made it baked, w/ asparagus, mushrooms, peas, w/ white wine & red pepper flakes, fresh parsley, & on & on.)

while i agree with the experimentation, that ceases to be carbonara at some point, m.

getting back, your salmon and orrechiette sounds good. i'll have to make it the next time i have leftover broiled salmon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom