ISO Pressure Cooker Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HomeCook58

Assistant Cook
Hell-o Cooks and Chefs
I just got my FAGOR Splendid Pressure Cooker. We had one given to us over 50 years ago and it served us well. Lots of meals were made in that cooker but it finally gave up the ghost and we decided to do without. BAD MISTAKE... We bought several but they were junk so I began a quest to locate the best we could afford for the two of us. We settled on this one and Stew is being prepared as I write.

I am looking for family favorite recipes for meals, stews, chili and such. Many modern cooks I am learning look at me like I am stupid since they never heard of or grew up with such a device. Microwave (NUKE IT!) is all they know..

Anyway thanks in advance for any sent. Please leave them as a PM to me so I can print them... :chef:

I love a pork roast in the cooker, 4 pound shoulder roast, 4 cloves garlic or 4 tsp minced garlic, one cup chopped onion, 2 tsp pepper, 1/2 cup water. I am not sure about cooking time at your low altitude. Go according to what you are used to. For about 1/4 of the roast you can slice it and have pork roast with appropriate sides. The rest of the roast you can shred, make half into BBQ pork for sandwiches using your favorite BBQ sauce, this can be portioned and frozen for a couple meals. If you like, the rest of the shredded with the juices in the bottom of the pan, some green chilies or any hot pepper of choice, spice it up and wrap in flour tortillas, serve with lettuce, tomatoes, olives, salsa, etc. This pork can also be portioned and frozen.

How is your wife's eyesight? Nosy, because if she can't see well it might help getting her to eat if you have dark plates she can see the food on.

Hi Princess. Had insurance adjustor out and he indicated that probably would get money for the cabinets and countertop. I would have to pay for the upper cabinets and other amenities but still big cost is countertop.. We will be getting quarts top since it is antibacterial and cutproof. Hoping to get new sink with it too. Mostly she is forgetfull. What day is it? that sort of thing.

But thanks for asking.

Nice! Upper cabinets don't get the wear and tear the lower cabinets do. Told you I was nosy:)

Pressure cooker, I like to do chicken in it, too. Ham and beans are great. I'm not comfortable with cook times and pressure, sorry. I'm a mountain girl and I'm not sure of differences, if any. I don't have much experience cooking at sea level.

It doesn't matter that you live ELEVATED. The pressure cooker solves that since it is making its own pressure and is generally 15 psi. It makes a difference when cooking, baking though and takes longer.

So...once up to pressure the cooking time would be the same? Silly questions, I know, but the air is thin up here...:LOL:

According to the experts... the thinness of the air has nothing to do with it.. You are creating the atmosphere within the vessel i.e. pressure cooker. Therefore where you live, cook has no bearing on what's inside getting cooked. It will save you lots of time and money and energy.. We've used one for more than 50 years all over the world. Like the money folks say.... Don't leave home without it.....
You living in Montana should have one for those Elk roasts and Beef roasts that you surely hunt or raise.

Last edited:
I've also used a PC for many years, not 50 but darn close. We had a presto jiggler when I was growing up, I learned the hard way not to take the lid off before the pressure was released.

I have a presto pressure cooker canner, a mirro (I think) stove top model, an antique model my MIL gave me bc she was afraid of it and I don't use, and my pride and joy a Nesco electric pressure cooker. My favs are the canner and the electric pressure cooker. If you get an electric model, be choosy in what you buy. To my knowledge most pressure cooker recipes are for 15 psi and the only 2 electric pressure cookers that cook at 15 psi are Nesco and Wolfgang Puck's. With my electric Nesco I can steam, brown, pressure cook, and slow cook. I'd highly recommend Miss Vickie's Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes and Miss Vickie's web site.

Picked up an electric, digital pressure cooker when I was in MN. Don't think I'll ever use my other ones again! Love it for making chick peas--soak overnight, 20 minutes, and we're done. I can see that I'll be using this a LOT.

Back
Top Bottom