Easter/Passover Menu/Plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Things are still up in the air. We have a frozen turkey that we are going to have on Monday. Probably do the classic turkey dinner with it at my GF's son's house. It's not a tradition, but everybody likes it.

As far as my side of the family goes, nobody really knows yet. Lot's of options. Could be pot luck at my sisters, or head to my mothers to keep her company. She is getting some wisdom teeth surgery this week so she may not be up to much.

We have been invited to my friend/boss's house on Saturday for a roasted lamb over a spit. That is usually a well soaked affair with too much alcohol. But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

Soooooo, looks like a three day afair..... wish me luck...

I may do a prime rib. Baked potato's and maybe asparagus if I find some nice ones.

That's how we think of holiday meals, we can have whatever we want. No expectations, unless there is something we want. I make pumpkin pie at least once a month!

I've pretty much had to stop making pie! :(

When you live alone it means that you get to eat and wear the whole pie! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm lucky that the Wegman's store near me sells it by the slice!

I've pretty much had to stop making pie! :(

When you live alone it means that you get to eat and wear the whole pie! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm lucky that the Wegman's store near me sells it by the slice!

That's why we have the mini piemaker...:)

Claire I made lamb koftas this weekend from my new Yotam Ottolenghi's book, Jerusalem . Really good. Also tried latkes too which would be good for a buffet I can dig any recipes out you might be interested in .

I'd be happy to have a recipe for the ground lamb. It turns out that my Pakistani friend (husband of my British friend) will be here as well. I am so glad I chose lamb rather than my own family's traditional ham (my husband's tradition was lamb, and I love lamb, more than he does!). It would be no big deal, Pakistani (Muslim) friend doesn't make a fuss about it. But it's nice that my husband just happened to chose lamb (his family's tradition). So there will be five of us, plus I have to say I invite what I call strays (military traditions). So it will be ground lamb torpedoes, couscous, taboule. Ihave some canned stuffed grape leaves (and yes, I've made them from scratch before, but I find them a p-i-a to make) for an appetizer and potica for desert.

I'm doing my monthly roast turkey. I still have three in the freezer and like to be done making roast turkey before summer hits, but I might smoke the last one in June (I'm away in May so probably won't do my monthly turkey then but will have to do another one in April to get all three of them used up before the heat arrives--I don't use the oven to roast turkeys in the summer).

Same here. We have never considered Easter a major holiday. I live in a major Catholic town. We let them do the celebrating for us. And it will be my daughter's chemo week. She will be in bed too sick to even eat. My DIL grew up under Communism and has never celebrated Easter. And my son will be working that day anyway. :angel:

Wow Addie, Easter is big for us! Not in a commercial way, but in a spiritual way.
We will be having brunch at a friends house, only because I have no family close by, and these are close friends who are very much like family. Sorry that it is a chemo week for your daughter. I'm sure as a mom it is very hard for you. My son was only eight when he had cancer, and I know it was very difficult for me. I know that it wouldn't matter how old your kids are, you are still the mommy. Prayers going out for your daughter once again, and also for you. :angel:

Wow Addie, Easter is big for us! Not in a commercial way, but in a spiritual way.
We will be having brunch at a friends house, only because I have no family close by, and these are close friends who are very much like family. Sorry that it is a chemo week for your daughter. I'm sure as a mom it is very hard for you. My son was only eight when he had cancer, and I know it was very difficult for me. I know that it wouldn't matter how old your kids are, you are still the mommy. Prayers going out for your daughter once again, and also for you. :angel:

Thank you chopper. I think after the death of a child, the worst word a parent can hear is "cancer". And when I heard "cancer of the brain" it sent me reeling. Winthrop had to send me some tranquilizers to get me back on an even keel. If anyone at that moment had needed me for a physical emergency, I would have been absolutely useless. :angel:

Thank you chopper. I think after the death of a child, the worst word a parent can hear is "cancer". And when I heard "cancer of the brain" it sent me reeling. Winthrop had to send me some tranquilizers to get me back on an even keel. If anyone at that moment had needed me for a physical emergency, I would have been absolutely useless. :angel:

Scary news can make the body shut down, and I have been there. I'm glad that things seem to be going well now with her treatment. :angel:

Haven't really given it much thought. Since I've retired and don't really keep any sort of schedule, much less calendar, Easter will probably be like any other Sunday.

However, as I reviewed this week's Kroger ad, ham is on special and we both love ham. I may pick up a nice big one and cook it. I have a craving for fresh asparagus, which would be good with the ham. Beyond that...?

I'd like to make a new dessert but nothing has tickled my fancy as of yet, but there's still time. My only obstacle is that inspiration has to hit before I go to the market tomorrow. We live some distance from food shopping sources, which makes spur of the moment things a bit of a challenge. Our pantry is pretty well stocked but, somehow, we always seem to be missing one critical ingredient when I get up to do something spontaneous. We'll see.

Easter is normally the holiday where we have family over and I make a traditional roast leg of lamb on the grill. It's probably my all-time favorite meal. Last month, though, I broke my ankle and am still on the mend, so dinner at our house is out this year. As of now, we're planning to go over to my mother-in-law's.

Things are still up in the air. We have a frozen turkey that we are going to have on Monday. Probably do the classic turkey dinner with it at my GF's son's house. It's not a tradition, but everybody likes it.

As far as my side of the family goes, nobody really knows yet. Lot's of options. Could be pot luck at my sisters, or head to my mothers to keep her company. She is getting some wisdom teeth surgery this week so she may not be up to much.

We have been invited to my friend/boss's house on Saturday for a roasted lamb over a spit. That is usually a well soaked affair with too much alcohol. But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

Soooooo, looks like a three day afair..... wish me luck...
Good luck and enjoy your three day pig out. ;):pig:

Easter Sunrise Breakfast

What's on the menu? What are you cooking & what are your plans? Any special favorite recipes to share?

We are cooking for 57 for the breakfast and I need to know about quantity of bacon and sausage to prepare for a group this size.
:)

We are cooking for 57 for the breakfast and I need to know about quantity of bacon and sausage to prepare for a group this size.
:)

Well, that tell us it is not for Passover. ;)

Two slices of bacon per person and two or three breakfast size sausages per person.

Welcome to Discuss Cooking.

Well, that tell us it is not for Passover. ;)

Two slices of bacon per person and two or three breakfast size sausages per person.

Welcome to Discuss Cooking.
Five pieces of meat per person? I think that's a bit much. I would plan on two pieces per person. Some might take more, but some will take less. I'm sure there will be other items av to fill out the meal.

Five pieces of meat per person? I think that's a bit much. I would plan on two pieces per person. Some might take more, but some will take less. I'm sure there will be other items av to fill out the meal.

You give them a choice of bacon or sausage. Not both.

lol, the jolly roger?

so, ye will be a celebratin' east- arrrr...

or passov-arrr...

:cool:

if we stay home, i'm sure dw will be making her traditional slovakian easter dinner of ham, beets n horseradish, asparagrass, stringbeans, farmer's cheese, and rye bread.

the only change might be roasted spiced fingerling potatoes (that i made the other night that were fantastic) instead of baked or mashed.

if we go to my parents' house, i'd love to bring a leg of lamb and smoked trout to go along with whatever my mom and siblings make. i can guarantee there'll be shrimp cocktail, a pickled veggie platter, and devilled eggs. it's not a holiday in my family without those three things, it seems. very Scandinavian.

Oh Dear! I need a long vacation. I read that as sliced fingers. Okay, I am leaving now.

Back
Top Bottom