Double-use Chicken Carcass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elana

Assistant Cook
I just made chicken soup from a whole chicken. I'm about to shred the meat to use in various recipes.

I would like to know if I can reuse the carcass to make more broth, or if I've already extracted what flavor I can from it. I let the soup simmer for about an hour and a half. I just put the entire chicken in water, along w/ the veggies and such, and let it do its thing.

I'm gonna keep the carcass in the fridge for now. If it's possible to get more flavor from it, I'll make some more stock and freeze it.

Thanks.

I've only double-dipped on a roasted carcass (turkey & chicken), so I'm curious about whether this would work or not as well.

I'll throw chicken carcasses (carcassi?) in a big ziplock bag in the freezer until the bag is full. There will be some roasted, some boiled, some rotisserie, grilled, etc...once the bag is at capacity, I'll give them another boil with some onion, celery tops and maybe garlic. Add water just to cover and simmer for at least an hour. Strain and pour off the broth, save for soup, rice, whatever. Always have a batch or two waiting.

It probably won't give you the depth of flavor that you want. You might consider combining it with the bones from a roasted bird or even some fresh backs or wings from the grocery

It probably won't give you the depth of flavor that you want. You might consider combining it with the bones from a roasted bird or even some fresh backs or wings from the grocery

+1....

Roast them bones and vegis first! I think this makes a much richer stock. Throw some backs in along with "used" bones. Leave the skin on the onions for a darker stock.

Actually, I think I was a little hasty in my first comment. When I make stock, I bring the liquid to a boil and then simmer for as long as I can (4-6 hours). I'm greedy I want as much gelatin and flavor from the bones as possible. I see that you simmered your soup for about an hour and half. You probably still have plenty of "goodness" left on and in those bones. I agree with everyone else that roasted bones add a ton of flavor. Oh, and remember to bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer and skim the "protien foam" off, it doesn't taste very good.

-Alfred

To be honest, stewing a whole chicken for only 1.5 hours is not going to get all of the flavor from it, but I'm with the crowd that says roast first. I make my stock from leftover carcasses of grilled or oven roasted birds, then I roast all of the wing tips I've collected (we have wings fairly often, and take them to group beach days too - my Coconut Lime Wings are quite popular) and put the whole kit and kaboodle in the stockpot. I've found that the wing tips seem to carry a lot of chicken-y goodness. I'll be doing that later this week as a matter of fact. We are roasting a chicken tomorrow, so I'll have that carcass and about 3 or 4 pounds of tips.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom