Dinner Thursday 28th March 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hubby is coming home tonight. I'll be making cocktail pork sausages with mash and brown onion gravy and some beets on the side. His flight is coming in pretty late so it must be something that can be nuked when he gets home.

My husband is home tonight too. :)

I was in the nearest town with a fishmonger earlier and stopped to pick up some oysters. They had two different types, so I got six of each to compare tastes. The smaller half dozen should taste more 'mineral-y'. I have a bottle of a very nice prosecco in the fridge (it will be our first alcohol since new year, we normally wait till the very end of march, but today is a special occasion) and I received a fruit basket yesterday, so we will have some of that fruit. If I feel enthusiastic later I might make a zabaglione or something to dollop on the prepared fruit, but I think it's unlikely.

My husband is home tonight too. :)

I was in the nearest town with a fishmonger earlier and stopped to pick up some oysters. They had two different types, so I got six of each to compare tastes. The smaller half dozen should taste more 'mineral-y'. I have a bottle of a very nice prosecco in the fridge (it will be our first alcohol since new year, we normally wait till the very end of march, but today is a special occasion) and I received a fruit basket yesterday, so we will have some of that fruit. If I feel enthusiastic later I might make a zabaglione or something to dollop on the prepared fruit, but I think it's unlikely.

Kinda makes my sausages and mash sound boring :LOL: Having said that, my husband would never eat fresh oysters or fruit on purpose :rolleyes:

Kinda makes my sausages and mash sound boring :LOL: Having said that, my husband would never eat fresh oysters or fruit on purpose :rolleyes:

Sausage and mash sounds delicious, more appropriate for our weather here today than oysters tbh. (It hit 3 celcius today and our central heating isn't working):ermm:

My dh loves fresh fruit, raw veg, all sorts of fish.....all the things some people complain about their partners not eating. Also, of the two of us he has the more adventurous palate really.

Sausage and mash sounds delicious, more appropriate for our weather here today than oysters tbh. (It hit 3 celcius today and our central heating isn't working):ermm:

My dh loves fresh fruit, raw veg, all sorts of fish.....all the things some people complain about their partners not eating. Also, of the two of us he has the more adventurous palate really.

I would much rather eat the oysters and fresh fruit myself :yum:
My hubby eats most things I make, just won't eat any shellfish but prawns or any organ meat. I don't mind what he eats, it's his body.
I love all of the above!

I would normally make 2 meals if he doesn't eat something I want but that's not possible tonight.

Braised short ribs w/mushrooms and pancetta over tossed couscous w/pine nuts

(Don't know why pics are upside down)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 191
I'm so excited today. For those who don't know, I took a bad fall on the ice back in February and ended up fracturing my ankle in several places. This was followed by surgery to fasten everything back together and several weeks of very limited mobility. Since then, my poor wife - who doesn't cook much - has been doing her best to keep us nourished. I've cooked a few meals from the confines of a wheelchair, but for the most part it's been a lot of takeout and restaurant food.

So I went to the doctor this morning for a follow-up x-ray and assessment. I honestly thought he would tell me it would be another month before I could put any weight on the ankle. Imagine my surprise when he said everything looks good and "Let's start you on physical therapy right away and get you walking again!" I literally went from his office over to the PT's to start rehab. PT couldn't have gone better. She said my range of motion was "excellent" and even had me stand on one leg (yes, the bad one :ohmy:) to prove to me, Doubting Thomas, that it would hold my full weight.

While things aren't 100%, I feel like I now have a little of my life back again. So tonight I will celebrate by COOKING. I have a pork loin in the fridge, a bag of potatoes, and some veggies. I'll see what I can come up with (and hopefully without overdoing it). :)

That's great news Steve. I just went through similar experience with rotator cuff surgery and rehab.

Word of advice (which you probably don't need). Don't skimp on the PT. Take as much as they will allow. These folks are amazing and will make you better. They know stuff about you that you can't imagine.

That is good news, Steve. Another piece of advice is, don't push it. Allow yourself time to heal/mend.

The last meal from a batch of tomato sauce with Italian sausage is coming out of the freezer for dinner tonight.

My baseball gig got cancelled again tonight. Not sure what is going on with the student, I was told he would not be able to go to baseball tonight. There went the dinner plans to pick up fast food on the way home!:rolleyes: So now I just put some b/s chicken breasts in the oven coated with Italian bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and drizzled with butter. Got half a dozen eggs on to hard boil for on our salads. I"m trying to decide if I want to make stuffing on the side or double up veggies and heat up some green beans. Maybe I'll wait and let DH make that call since he should be home well before the chicken will be ready.

I've got a boneless pork loin roast that I will roast tonight. I'm thinking of roasted potatoes and another veggie.

Getting ready to roll some sushi. Karen has become quite good at it. Spicy tuna rolls, shrimp rolls and some crab rolls.:yum:

yesterday I went down to Trader Joes in Santa Fe and picked up some goodies, got some fixings for a few spinach salads, several cheeses, some ham, jarred alfredo sauce...think I will do the spinach salad..

So happy to hear the good news, Steve!! :flowers: :clap:

I'm all numbed up with a temporary molar crown, and am not supposed to eat until 8:00 PM to allow the adhesive to set. DH grazed from some leftovers to tide him over, so I have no idea. We'll probably go out when I can feel my mouth again.

Last edited:
My pork roast turned out fantastic tonight. I used garlic, onion, rosemary, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt. Browned it in the Dutch oven before roasting. When the liquids went away in the oven, I added white wine. We spooned the juices over the meat and it was yummy!

we went out for my boy's birthday to his favourite japanese teppanyaki place for dinner.

we had their standard fare of onion/mushroom clear soup, then salads with ginger dressing. next were some sushi appys (california roll, tuna roll, and salmon skin roll).
for our dinners, we had fried rice, noodles, mixed veggies, sauteed mushrooms, shrimp, chicken, scallops, and filet mignon, all cooked on the griddle (the teppan) and served with mustard and ginger dipping sauces.

dessert was green tea ice cream, sliced fresh pineapple, and hot green teas.

of course we got the special bansai celebration for him where the hosts don a dragon head and sing "haddy dur day", then scream bansai 3 times for good luck.

it was fun and we were stuffed. here's dw and my boy in front of a samurai statue in their garden in front of the restaurant on the way out:

img_1252857_0_e5671245a4b82a13e12d749a10fedf28.jpg

Happy birthday to your boy, BT! Great pic!

We ended up at a local pizza joint, it was perfect, and the Novocaine finally wore off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom