How do YOU make your stuffed peppers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i was thinking of making stuffed peppers today and just thought i'd ask everyone how they make theirs. is there anything special that you do? any special techniques?

i have some nice orange, red, and green bell peppers to use up, as well as a pound and a third of ground turkey.

i was just going to go the usual route with rice, garlic, onions, and tomatoes, but i'm looking for inspiration.

tia. :chef:

Mine are usually pretty standard.

I make my standard meatball mix and add rice, then I bake them in sauce covered for about an hour to an hour and a half at 350 degrees.

If you want to shake it up a little throw in some cinnamon, raisins and pine nuts or almonds.

I never use rice in the peppers, it' the side dish.
I add breadcrumbs to the meatmix, along with onions, carrots and celery

I blanch the peppers first. Use a combination of wild rice and brown rice, grated cheese, and the usual re: meat and seasoning. I have also used chopped chickpeas/black beans instead of the rice.

I used to make them for my kids. The standard meat and rice filling with mushrooms, celery and onion. But instead of a tomato sauce, I would open a couple of McCormick brown gravy mix and pour that over the stuffed peppers. The kids liked it better. A couple of times I made a typical bread stuffing with leftover chicken and sage dressing. The kids thought that was cool. They love stuffing. Chicken gravy for that one. But I think my weirdest stuffing was leftover pasta with a meatball on the bottom. Standard leftover tomato based gravy for that one. Leftovers in the fridge made it into stuffed pepper quite often. :angel:

Fresh Mexican "chorizo" made with the turkey and rice. Make a red chili sauce to either bake them in, serve on the side or both. Refried beans and corn tortillas to complete. Got to have cheese too.:yum:

I make mine with ground meat(Italian sausage or Hamburger or ground turkey) with onions, garlic, chopped tomatoes and lately I have been using Orzo instead of the rice. Everyone really likes that. I put them in a casserole dish with a little chicken or beef stock cover and bake. I really like them with the Italian sausage, gives them a nice spice to them.

I fill mine with a thick béchamel mixed with lots of cheese and some chopped and fried bacon and onions. Season to taste. Top with more grated cheese and breadcrumbs and bake. I use them as a side, not a main meal.

I don't! DH hates green peppers so it would not benefit me to try to make them even though I myself love them! I can occasionally get him to eat some if I chop them fine and add them to a dip or chili or something like that but if he can identify them as green peppers he'll refuse to eat them!

I add rice to the mince, to make it lighter, and I choose lamb mince usually. I also tend to use a lot of middle eastern or North African sort of flavours, so some dried fruit,..apricots, prunes perhaps, ras al hangout or perhaps just some cumin and cinnamon. I also love peppers stuffed with nut roast type stuffing.

I use the same sort of flavours stuffing marrows. That middle eastern sort of flavour never gets tired for me.

Tomato on the other hand, I stuff that very differently.....

Jasmine rice, stir-fry type veggies and the ground turkey with an asian seasoning. Use Hoisin sauce as a topping.

The most important thing I do for my stuffed peppers is to skin them before stuffing.
I'm sure you know the drill.......blister the skin till black over a flame, pop into a plastic bag so they steam enough to peel the skin off. Uck, I really hate skin on my stuffed peppers.

Mine are pretty standard with meat, rice and tomatoes. The one thing I do differently though, is slice them length wise, not just cut the top off. I get two peppers out of one which saves money and there is less wasted pepper since DH likes peppers but not as much as me :)

PF, yours sound delicious!

I have stuffed them a mix of homemade Italian sausage - ground beef - ground chicken. I have also stuffed them with the same filling I make for grape leaves.

I don't! DH hates green peppers so it would not benefit me to try to make them even though I myself love them! I can occasionally get him to eat some if I chop them fine and add them to a dip or chili or something like that but if he can identify them as green peppers he'll refuse to eat them!

Have you tried them with red or yellow peppers? I like those much better than the green ones.

i was thinking of making stuffed peppers today and just thought i'd ask everyone how they make theirs. is there anything special that you do? any special techniques?

i have some nice orange, red, and green bell peppers to use up, as well as a pound and a third of ground turkey.

i was just going to go the usual route with rice, garlic, onions, and tomatoes, but i'm looking for inspiration.

tia. :chef:
Ingredients: (Quantities depend on how many you are serving.) Bell peppers, lean ground chicken or turkey or pork, chopped scallions (they cook quicker than large onions), garlic, herbs to your taste, Quinoa, low sodium chicken or other light stock, kale or spinach or other similar leafy green veg roughly chopped, panko or other dry bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.

Cook the quinoa in chicken stock per the instructions on the packet.

Meanwhile saute the meat, onions, garlic, herbs to brown the meat in a skillet. Add the cooked quinoa mix well to allow the quinoa to absorb the meaty flavours. Add the coarsely chopped green veg and stir well. Cook until the veg wilts.

Pack the mixture into the peppers and top with mixed panko and parmesan. Place on a shallow baking sheet (do I mean a sheet pan?) and bake in the oven until bubbling and brown on top (long enough to make sure the meat is cooked properly).

You can adapt this to our own taste - for example a little chilli in the meat filling or a touch of sumac, nutmeg or what you will. We like them as is but if you like a sauce a good quality bottled tomato pasta sauce would go well or anyother sauce that appeals to you.

I hope I've got the terminology correct for equipment, ingredients and techniques - "two nations divided by a common language" as George Bernard Shaw may or may not have said :)

Quinoa has an nutty flavour and texture and I think it's a bit more interesting in stuffed veg than rice. I have no idea where ths recipe originated. A friend passed it on to me but where she got it goodness only knows.

Bon Appetit!

Try mixing mashed potatoes and corn with the precooked defatted meat. Mix in an egg and a little dry gravy mix, and some ketchup for seasoning.Put some water over stuffed peppers in pan. Use cover or foil on top of pan. peppers will steam. Cook Peppers til done. Take off top and let rest five minutes before serving, Should have nice sauce mixtue in pan. Sombody called this ''Shepards Pie stuffed peppers'' [ Also could use corned or roast beef hash onions egg ketchup ect. for a stuffing ].Hope this might help.

One time when I had all the ingredients together, I discovered I had no starch. Out of rice? How could that happen? A staple in my kitchen. So I took a packet of Ramen noodles, crushed them, cooked al dente in chicken stock and used them. A big hit with the kids.

BTW I love the looks of a rainbow or confetti look of different colored peppers made all together. Gives the meal eye appeal. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom