First meeting with my girlfriend's family!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi all,

on last Monday, I invited 4 persons for a dinner in my house: 2 friends of my girlfriend, plus her cousin and her husband.

So, you know my friends, it was the first meeting with my girlfriend's family: I could not fail...

This was the result: I have to say that all my guests was very satisfied and happy to stay!

First dish: cold pear's puree, fondue of 2 different cheeses, and grilled speck.

cena1.jpg

Second dish: homemade gnocchi, made with pumpkin and potatoes, with a fondue of taleggio

cena2.jpg

cena3.jpg

Third dish: two little pie: the first with dark chocolate, with a smooth heart and a candied orange peel. The second one: white chocolate pie, with a smooth heart and fig jam. A little glass with an homemade liquor, made with 3 citrus (orange, lemon and mandarin) with a candied orange peel inside. A cacao sprinkling to beautify the dish.

cena4.jpg

Do you like it?

Wow. Using an American term, I'd say you hit a home run.

:ermm: After that meal, what could you possibly serve her parents when you have them over? I feel full just looking at the great picutres. Great job! :angel:

My son's in-laws come from Napoli. He had just become engaged to his girlfriend. They wanted to meet me. Fine. Sounded like a good idea.

I enter through the front door and they immediately take me down to the basement. They had turned it into a lovely family room with a fireplace. The whole family had shown up. Cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. They were all sitting in a semi circle. In the middle was my chair with my back to the fireplace that had a fire going. I do not speak Italian. Nor am I Italian. Some of the relatives did not speak English. My saving grace was that I am of American Indian hertitage. They thought that was wonderful. They actually met an Indian! They all had questions for me. Some had to be translated. It was quite an interesting night. I got to sit next to my son's MIL at the wedding. She does not speak English to this day. But somehow we both had a good time that night. She was disappointed that I don't drink wine or any alcohol at all. I drank the toast with ginger ale.

I hope you have a better time you meet your girlfriend's parents. :angel:

My son's in-laws come from Napoli. He had just become engaged to his girlfriend. They wanted to meet me. Fine. Sounded like a good idea.

I enter through the front door and they immediately take me down to the basement. They had turned it into a lovely family room with a fireplace. The whole family had shown up. Cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. They were all sitting in a semi circle. In the middle was my chair with my back to the fireplace that had a fire going. I do not speak Italian. Nor am I Italian. Some of the relatives did not speak English. My saving grace was that I am of American Indian hertitage. They thought that was wonderful. They actually met an Indian! They all had questions for me. Some had to be translated. It was quite an interesting night. I got to sit next to my son's MIL at the wedding. She does not speak English to this day. But somehow we both had a good time that night. She was disappointed that I don't drink wine or any alcohol at all. I drank the toast with ginger ale.

I hope you have a better time you meet your girlfriend's parents. :angel:

:D:D:D

I hope so....

That looks delicious and attractive. If you didn't have a girlfriend...

Good luck with her folks. As long as you serve the dinner with respect and show love for the family the food is only secondary.

Last edited:
My I do not speak Italian. Nor am I Italian. Some of the relatives did not speak English. My saving grace was that I am of American Indian hertitage. They thought that was wonderful. They actually met an Indian! They all had questions for me. Some had to be translated. It was quite an interesting night.

i'm surprised anyone didn't hit anyone else with all of the hand gesturing...

The first time we met my son's fiancee's parents, we met at Buffalo Wild Wings. Me being a sign language interpreter, I often sign and speak without thinking. They both thought DH had a hearing problem!

Back
Top Bottom