What would you like to see in a meat counter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Hello everybody. Well, I'm back to cooking again. I accepted a job from a friend of mine in his Deli/Meat Shop. He is looking for some new ideas ranging from sandwich to meat counter offerings. Right now I have added a few things, some pretty common stuff. But am always looking for new ideas. We offer things like rib eyes, tenderloin filets, strip loin, prepped ribs, rack of lamb, various fresh sausages, veal chops, large pork chops, salmon steaks, shrimp skewers, chicken and pork skewers(greek style seasonings), rubbed chicken pieces,and a few other things.... I have treated a few chops and things with teriyaki, garlic marinades, etc. We also offer a selection of prepared salads... He is all for large portions and original ideas. Most of his stuff is top of the line and the prices reflect that. I feel that he prices himself out of a large portion of the market because we are in a smaller community, but it is his decision.

What would you like to see when you go into a meat shop? Do you take a chance on pre flavored things in marinades and sauces and if so, what kinds appeal to you. Or, would you rather prepare cuts yourselves?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks.

Last edited:
This is exciting, Rock! Hope it's fun and satisfying for you.

I like to hack up my own whole loins and ribeyes, and grind up the trimmings, may not be for everyone. Maybe chorizo, lamb chops, gourmet hotdogs, sausages from PF's Missoula guy, pizza burgers and shrimp burgers, Phiily Italian smoked meats, olive bar, smoked cheeses?

Last edited:
I like to see the whole loin in a meat counter. There is one specialty shop in the city that displays steak meats like that, along with a few precut portions for those to point to and choose. The butcher will hold his knife on the loin, waiting for you to indicate how thick, then put it on the butcher block (or saw) and cut it right in front of you. Then he scrapes it down, places it on the butcher paper and display it to you for your approval before wrapping it up. Sometimes he will retrim the end and throw it in the burger pile (I presume). That IMO makes that piece of meat special start to finish. Moreso than choosing the nicest looking ribeye out of a dozen already cut.

I don't buy preseasoned or marinated stuff much. Maybe kabobs every couple years or so when I'm feeling lazy. I will buy premade stuffed pork chops though.

I like to see the whole loin in a meat counter. There is one specialty shop in the city that displays steak meats like that, along with a few precut portions for those to point to and choose. The butcher will hold his knife on the loin, waiting for you to indicate how thick, then put it on the butcher block (or saw) and cut it right in front of you. Then he scrapes it down, places it on the butcher paper and display it to you for your approval before wrapping it up. Sometimes he will retrim the end and throw it in the burger pile (I presume). That IMO makes that piece of meat special start to finish. Moreso than choosing the nicest looking ribeye out of a dozen already cut.

I don't buy preseasoned or marinated stuff much. Maybe kabobs every couple years or so when I'm feeling lazy. I will buy premade stuffed pork chops though.

That's good service from your butcher, pac. I also rarely, if ever, buy pre-marinated meats.

That's good service from your butcher, pac. I also rarely, if ever, buy pre-marinated meats.

It's a family owned shop, so they find their niche somewhere. Sadly, they aren't open as many hours as they used to be. They still draw from a ways away though.

If the owner is aiming for a more upscale market, perhaps he should carry some less common stuff that would appeal to that market. Duck, goose, more veal cuts. Try some organ meats. What about game meats and specialty meats such as heirloom pork.

I think you could educate some of the customers with new cuts of meat and fish by offering the meat and a small container of glaze along with some cooking instructions. The entree and a salad from the deli counter would give a meal in minutes type of offering that would be fresh and healthy. Things like single portions of salmon or chicken with a good quality sauce containing fresh ginger or some other fresh herb that they would enjoy but not be likely to buy.

Also some small heat and eat casseroles or plate meals of high quality comfort foods that are too difficult for the average mid week meal. Again geared to singles young or old.

I would also emphasize healthy right sized portions. People don't tend to see high prices when the prices appear as a single portion.

80/20 burger...almost impossible to find except in 5 lb chubs around here. I like to be able to pick up a half or quarter pound.

I'd like to see ground lamb at a reasonable price. I know there is a place in Ottawa that carries game meat in the frozen section. Don't know how popular it would be where you are Rock. What about Bison?

I don't buy "pre-marinated" stuff. But, he could do a customer survey of those who buy products from him--maybe do a draw of completed surveys and give away a gift certificate from the Meat counter...

Congrats, Rock

Can you get any Kobe (for burgers)?

Does he feel like cooking?

How about rotisserie chickens?

Our market sells cooked slabs of ribs & fish burgers

Pulled or BBQ'd pork in containers for sandwiches

There use to be a meatloaf mix - a combo of ground beef, pork & veal. I haven't seen it in awhile.

I did like the kebabs (beef & chicken w/ bell peppers & onions), but they are scarce here, as well.

Also, a little neighborhood market carried big fat pork chops stuffed w/ cornbread stuffing. They were great. Don't see them either.

Last edited:
first off roch, best of luck to you with your new job!:) it sounds like you can make a real difference at your buddy's store--increase clientele and sales by introducing some new ideas and innovations. from what you describe, you already have made a good start, with variously treated and marinated chickens, chops and steaks, kabobs and the like.
aunt bea makes a good point about making some small, or individual-sized portions of specialty items. the price is especially inviting to singles and elders, and it's also a good way to introduce new items that is cost-effective. i also agree with ab that you may need to work with your customers and help them with cooking and seasoning tips, sell or sample out portions of sauces or seasonings. the only reason i don't buy pre-treated meats and poultry is that i have yet to see it done in a fresh and attractive, or appetizing way, in the stores where i food shop.

do you have steaming capabilities roch? or is there a separate department for seafood? steaming shrimp and crab legs (with old bay, Yum) in-store will bring customers to you from everywhere in the building, and the street beyond...:)

i like to see ground pork and lamb done in patties, bison too. i like to see a quality brand bacon in the meat case, laid out loose in thick slices, bratwurst, pepperoni sticks smoked fish is also very appealing sight to me. liver pate and various instore-made sausages will bring me running...pickled and marinated anything...good deli meats--heavy on the italian and german hams and sausage, aged cheese selections...

i've got to go for right how, but i'll be back (with more ideas), cause i LOVE this topic of yours, roch.:)

Last edited:
You've already gotten some great suggestions Rock!

My daddy had an upscale meat market back in the day, and he was really picky about his meat case looking like a thing of beauty at all times. I best remember his own bulk sausage that he molded in the pan to look like a pig :pig:. He also stuffed and string tied boneless chicken breasts, along with Cordon Bleu breasts rolled with cheese and ham, both ready for the the right customer. Stuffed thick pork chops were also a big ticket item, and they all looked so beautiful. A place like that is so rare these days, it's good to know they are still around. ;)

Hello everybody. Well, I'm back to cooking again. I accepted a job from a friend of mine in his Deli/Meat Shop. He is looking for some new ideas ranging from sandwich to meat counter offerings. Right now I have added a few things, some pretty common stuff. But am always looking for new ideas. We offer things like rib eyes, tenderloin filets, strip loin, prepped ribs, rack of lamb, various fresh sausages, veal chops, large pork chops, salmon steaks, shrimp skewers, chicken and pork skewers(greek style seasonings), rubbed chicken pieces,and a few other things.... I have treated a few chops and things with teriyaki, garlic marinades, etc. We also offer a selection of prepared salads... He is all for large portions and original ideas. Most of his stuff is top of the line and the prices reflect that. I feel that he prices himself out of a large portion of the market because we are in a smaller community, but it is his decision.

What would you like to see when you go into a meat shop? Do you take a chance on pre flavored things in marinades and sauces and if so, what kinds appeal to you. Or, would you rather prepare cuts yourselves?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks.

Congrats on the interesting job.

Marinaded product at a meat counter shouts to me OLD. in other establishments it's a way to get rid of old meat/chicken/seafood.

So I'd not buy it.

Goat! I have to drive 25 miles to find a mercado de la carne that sells goat, and my own neighborhood is 75% Latino and Pilipino!

And rabbits, cut up. I'm Sicilian, I have a lot of recipes for rabbit.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I will consider each and every one . Right now we have to control the quantity of product in the showcases to limit waste. There are established performers so other offerings have to be introduced gradually and in small amounts. With the grilling season approaching, we expect the sales volume to increase which will allow us to bring in more varied types of meats. Should be interesting and fun...

Last edited:
Personally I go for meat shops or butcheries that are clean and well organized. If I smell anything bad I'm out the door.
I also like seeing good selection of quality sausages, good deli meats like salami, pastrami, silverside, good ham, and brawn etc. Cured or dried meats like biltong (or jerky), matured steaks, good thick cut chops (or the option to have meats cut to specification), a few pre prepped items like marinated kebabs and spatchcocked chicken, ready to grill garlic loaves etc for last minute bbq's.
A few items that can be used for preparing meats at home like marinade, spice blends, foil, butter, eggs, cheese, condiments...

A few tasters on the counter of cooked sausage or meat to test produce.
A small selection of great tasting salad instead of many choices that are plain and cheap.
Perhaps some good bread and bread rolls.
I would rather have a few great products than many. I want to know that everything I buy will be good not just a few items.

Last edited:
for salads, roch: a good greek salad (cukes, bell pepper, red onion, tomato, feta cheese and kalamatas), a salad of fresh mozzerella cheese and tomato slices w/fr. basil, a good couscous salad with chick peas/scallions, and a good, kicky sesame noodle one, a raw broccoli, cauliflower, onions/tom combo w/creamy ranch, a good cole slaw w/red cabbage, a tabouli, an orzo salad, a kimchi. with summer coming, packaged burger toppings (tom/onion/let), some partially stripped and trimmed corn in small packages, mushrooms, summer squash 'n eggplant, 'reminders' of burger buns, flat bread, farm-fresh idaho baking potatoes w/packaged toppers (sour cream/chives, bacon bits....

Last edited:
The earlier suggestion for small casseroles is worth carefully considering.

A local fresh market in my town is selling "homemade" dinner kits that you can order. They have developed a regular customer base who have a standing order for once per week. They offer two menus - one on Monday and the other on Thursday.

One menu is a ready to cook meatloaf, a potato dish (lyonaise), gravy and shredded broccoli and carrot salad. The other is smothered baked pork chops (sometimes a small, stuff, rolled pork loin instead), baked rice pilaf and a corn custard.

Both come ready to cook - just shove them in the oven and everything is fresh. They offer only one menu each day and they can only be picked up after 3 pm. They have an option to add a small pie for an upcharge (the pie has to be baked). The meals are fairly popular and designed to serve 4. They have a gift program - you can order these for a friend or someone just getting out of the hospital or an elderly person. Their advertising promotes leftovers for a single person as a benefit ;) They can arrange delivery.

Back
Top Bottom