Whole Wheat for AP in Pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GA Home Cook

Sous Chef
I have a pasta recipe that calls for 1 egg and 2/3 cup AP flour (came from Americas Test Kitchen). Can I directly substitue Whole Wheat flour for the AP Flour? Would it turn out the same?

I have a pasta recipe that calls for 1 egg and 2/3 cup AP flour (came from Americas Test Kitchen). Can I directly substitue Whole Wheat flour for the AP Flour? Would it turn out the same?

It depends on how fine the whole wheat is ground. I have used whole wheat successfuly to replace AP flour in a number of recipes. The thing is, often, whole wheat flour is more coarse than its AP counterpart. With something like pasta, you will notice the textural change. If the flour is finely ground, the flavor will be a bit different, but still very good. I use whole wheat pasta exclusively now. At first, I didn't like it as well. Now, I prefer it. But I still want the pasta to have a smooth, rather than grainy texture.

If your whole wheat flour is too coarse, run it it through your blender. Also, you might need a touch more oil in the recipe. And since it has to be hydrated a little more because of the bran, you will want to use an extra large egg. A tbs. of vital wheat gluten should be added for the same reason. The normal gluten content of the flour is diluted because the wheat bran takes up space in the total weight/volume of the flour.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Can you buy whole wheat AP flour?

Whole wheat pasta takes longer to cook than pasta made with "white" flour and is more filling.

Purists would use OO flour for making pasta but this is a counsel of perfection as it may not be easily available except in cities or areas with a large italian population

Back
Top Bottom