ISO Steak and Ale Chowder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsLMB

Executive Chef
DH and I went out for lunch the other day at this tiny little hole in the wall place that has a couple of extremely good meals.

Their soup of the day was called steak and ale chowder .. I wanted to try it simply because it just sounded good.

Oh my .... was it every delicious !!

They will not share the recipe :(

It was thick .. had roast beef - not steak - thin sliced potatoes, onions dark beer and I think sharp cheddar cheese .. maybe even a bit smokey.

It was very thick, creamy, everything in it was small, it was cream in color.

Anyway .. just wondering if any of you had either made or had a chowder like this? I really want to duplicate it.

Darn, I thought this was about clam chowder made by the resturant chain Steak and Ale.:ohmy:

Wow, my post count matches my high school graduation year!

Last edited:
Darn, I thought this was about clam chowder made by the resturant chain Steak and Ale.:ohmy:

Wow, my post count matches my high school graduation year!

I remember the Steak and Ale restaurants from when I lived in central California.

Ok .. my hands and brain hurt from all the searching I've been doing but I think I may have found it !

Blount Fine Foods makes a chowder called Steak and Ale and the little picture they have looks like what I had.

http://www.blountretail.com/_media/file/steak_ale_chowder.pdf

Now with a list of ingredients I can set about trying to replicate it .. well to some degree anyway !

I wish there was a place near me where I could purchase some of this.

That would be a nice start. I know there were no parsnips or carrots in it and it definitely had sharp cheddar. That's the beauty of a recipe .. tweek it until it fits !!

How about this one:

Steak, Potato & Beer Soup..a.k.a €�dude Soup”

Submitted by: ohbiteitblog (see all recipes) | Source: OHbiteit.com
ImageProxy.mvc

Add a Photo | View All Photos

Comment (0)
Rate

"Dudes" and "Dudettes" alike will love this hearty, satifying soup filled with potatoes, onion, garlic, steak, and beer. Top it all with cheese, sour cream, and scallions.

• Servings: 15-20
  • Prep Time: 15 minutes
  • Cook Time: 20 minutes
  • Total Time: 35 minutes
Ingredients:

Olive Oil 1 lb Good Marbled Steak, such as sirloin (omit for vegetarian option
Salt & Pepper, to taste 4 Large Idaho Potatoes 1 Large Onion, chopped
Chopped Garlic, as much as you want 1 bottle Good Beer!!
The Quality of The Beer Makes All The Difference In This Soup!
No Schlitz..lol! 4 cups Beef Stock- If You Have a Preference, any stock will work, it doesn’t have to be beef.
Some Shredded Cheddar, for the garnish 1 cup Sour Cream, plus some more for the garnish
Sliced Scallion..for The Garnish

Directions:
Heat a large stock pot over medium heat, and add in some olive oil.
Season the steak with salt and pepper, and sear both sides until golden; then remove and set aside (it won’t be cooked through!)
To that pot add in the potatoes, chopped onions, garlic; cook until the onions are tender. Add the bottle of beer and stock to the pot, stir and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
Thinly slice up the seared steak against the grain; set aside.
When the onions and potatoes have simmered and are tender, remove them from the soup and puree them in a food processor until smooth. Use some of the soup if the processor binds up. Add the pureed potatoes back into the soup and stir well to combine.
Slide in the steak slices to finish cooking. When the steak slices are fully cooked you’re ready to serve!
Top with a dollop of sour cream and some cheese and scallions! ~Enjoy!

Helpful Tips:
This one pot wonder is the perfect cold weather belly warmer! Not only is it hearty and full of amazing flavor, but it’s so easy to make! It makes a huge pot that you can munch on all weekend!
Recipe By: ohbiteitblog

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom