Braised Pork Shoulder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
The last couple of times I braised a pork roast, I used the low and slow method. Unfortunately, the meat turned out pretty tasteless and bland, as if all the flavor was in the drippings. (The gravy was great.)

Yesterday I bought a nice half pork shoulder (5#) which came with package directions (Tyson) that suggested cooking at 350° for 45 minutes a pound.

I decided to try it their way, so I placed it face down (the meatiest side) and just poured a beer over it. I cooked it in a large pot, with a lid on it. I didn't open the oven or check the internal temperature until the end of the suggesting time.

The beer and drippings were caramelized and the meat came off with a twist of a fork. The meat was full of flavor this time.

I think I'll keep doing it this way. Now I'll have plenty of flavorful pork to freeze for other uses.

I can hardly wait to see how the gravy turns out.

The gravy is the reason I almost always use beer as a braising liquid. It makes such a wonderful gravy.

Although I did have the option of buying a boneless shoulder roast, I couldn't imaging not getting a nice bone to add to a pot of beans.

Last edited:
That sounds like a (fairly) low and slow method to me - almost 4 hours, right? What did you do differently before?

275° until an internal temperature of 200°.

I think that it might have something to do with the fact that I had to check the internal temperature more often, losing the steam from the covered pot several times before I reached my desired temperature.

does the beer gravy make the meat taste bitter? I like pork to taste sweet, as it already is a sweet meat. I'm curious as to what beer does to its flavour....or does it even out the sweetness a bit? or does the beer grow sweet in the braising?

Back
Top Bottom