Dinner Sunday 14th April 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairygirl69

Senior Cook
It's Sunday, April 14, what are you cooking?

It's Sunday, the last day of the weekend for some of us. What are you cooking/baking. I'm in the midst of making sourdough cinnamon rolls for the husband.

It is still about 17 hours until supper, and I don't know what I will be eating, but I do know where. My church's ladies' group will be meeting at a Mexican restaurant called La Unica. I have never tried that one, but I love Mexican food. My husband will probably be having pimiento-cheese sandwiches.

Got a batch of red lentil soup I made yesterday leftover, gonna eat that with some naan bread. It turned out tasty but I think it needed something else, gonna add some minced jalapeno next time, and cut back on the cayenne to compensate, and also use home made broth since I didn't have any this time. Contemplating stirring in some fresh spinach in the last couple minutes as well to round it out. I'd rate it a 7/10 as it is and with just a couple tweaks it could be a 10/10 since the flavor profile is darn near perfect otherwise. First time making it there's always adjustments to make. But that's what I'm having.

Last edited:
I like adding lemon zest to lentil soup. And, right before serving, some fresh lemon juice. I have used sumac when I haven't had any fresh lemons in the house.

Cleaning out the fridge. Salmon (or cod) cakes & baked penne with cauliflower & gouda. Fresh fruit salad for dessert.

We have some Chinese sausages (tastes like pork spare ribs) we got at a local sausage shop. A veggie and some roasted potato will go as a side.

I have a piece of London broil marinating in Italian dressing made with red-wine vinegar. I think I'll make either baked potatoes or baked fries and a green salad to go with it.

Since the pork roast I thawed was not a pork roast, I had to figure out something else to make and hit a mental brickwall. Thanks to fellow DCers, I came up with a Thai-inspired pork stir-fry. First, I made Snip's curry paste (1/2 batch) to which I added some chopped lemongrass I had in the freezer. I marinated the pork cubes in that for about an hour. Meanwhile, I chopped the green pepper, carrots, onion, and soaked the mushrooms and then chopped them (actually, I started the mushrooms before making Snip's curry paste). Fast forward, I stir-fried the meat, veggies, added some fish sauce, added about 1/4 c pork stock, more red chili flakes, lime zest, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots. Served it over rice noodles with lime wedges, topped with Thai basil, red chili flakes, coconut (I should have thawed it sooner), and pineapple on the side. I was going to mix the pineapple in, but changed my mind. Anyway, it was quite tasty--the meat was very tender and there was just enough heat without it being overpowering. I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow. Thanks, Snip, for sharing the recipe for curry paste--I'm never buying curry paste again.

Attachments

• thai 015.jpg
    thai 015.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 160
  • thai 016.jpg
    thai 016.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 171
I WAS going to do pancakes and sausage for supper but the kids stopped by and we did some wedding stuff. We've now ordered pizza (for him) and Chinese (for her). DH just left to pick up the food. Thankfully, Domino's is almost next door to New China Express (1 store and a driveway between them).

Pan-fried bone in pork chops, stuffing, roasted rosemary red potatoes, onions and mushrooms, steamed baby spinach and pan gravy

img_1258424_0_dca5539b752dd9836de3d0818042407c.jpg

Nice dinners, all! Yum, CWS and MsM!

We had a big a** salad.

Last edited:
My intentions were pure, I was going to cook. But we went for evening Mass and I talked Himself into ice cream. Headed to a local clam hut and each had a clam strip roll, then an ice cream apiece. Gonna have to start cutting back on junky stuff...tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom