Butterscotch icing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I married together parts of two recipes to create this icing. I'm sure I'm not the only person to use it. I just created it from my head rather than looking it up. Yes, I re-invented the wheel yet again.

This is simply a butterscotch sauce, with egg yolks to thicken it into icing. The inspiration was German Chocolate icing.

Butterscotch sauce:
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp salt
8 tbs. unsalted butter
2 cups cream

Butterscotch icing:
Above listed butterscotch sauce
6 egg yolks

make the butterscotch sauce by melting the butter over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and stir until it's smooth and has lost its grainy texture. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat for ten minutes, stirring frequently.

While the sauce is boiling, lightly whisk the egg yolks in a large, SS bowl. Temper the yolks by ladling in a half cup of the hot sauce while whisking vigorously. Pour the tempered yolks back into the sauce and simmer for six to seven minutes to allow the yolks to thicken the sauce. Spread over your cakes while still warm.

This icing was intense, and delicious. If you just make the sauce, it's fabulous over ice cream, or coffee cake, etc.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom