Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Cooking Resources (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f163/)
-   -   Penzeys spices: Any opinions? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f163/penzeys-spices-any-opinions-85359.html)

Cooking Goddess 04-23-2013 11:41 PM

Penzeys spices: Any opinions?

Poking around on the internet one night, I ran across either an article or recipe that mentioned Penzeys Spices. Has anyone ever bought from them? If so, how is their quality? Were you satisfied?

I just got my catalog in the mail the other day and it looks intriguing. Considering checking them out. There is a retail store about an hour from our house. Not exactly somewhere you could pop in to pick up a little basil for supper, but the right distance for a nice spring drive. As a bonus, our favorite Jewish deli is on the route between here and there.

The catalog itself it very interesting. Hoping their spices are just as delightful. If you've used these let me know if you were happy. Thanks!

merstar 04-24-2013 12:29 AM

Hi CG,

I've been buying Penzeys spices for years, and they're excellent. I love love love their cinnamon, herbes de Provence, fines herbes, smoked paprika, garlic powder, toasted onion powder, and many, many more.

P.S. Ooh, what I would give to have a great Jewish deli in my area!

Cooking Goddess 04-24-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merstar (Post 1261531)
...P.S. Ooh, what I would give to have a great Jewish deli in my area!

merstar, that deli (Rein's Deli) "in my area" is 37.5 miles away! It is on our route between MA and OH and we used to stop there every time we were returning home. We now have a great diner we stop at, sometimes each way. If you're ever on I-84 in the Newtown, CT area (yup, that Newtown :sad:) you just have to stop at Blue Colony. Yummmm....:yum:

The reason I'd like to go to their shop is because you can sniff each and every spice and blend they sell. I'd better go well-armed with tissues - I'll probably end up with a sneezing fit!

pacanis 04-24-2013 05:55 AM

Excellent quality, CG. Their garlic powder smells like you just chopped up some fresh. I buy all my spices from Penzeys, unless I'm buying something specific I need right now. Then I wish I had ordered it from Penzeys.

justplainbill 04-24-2013 06:36 AM

Penzeys is generally very very good.

letscook 04-24-2013 06:39 AM

I was looking also at one time and was directed to Penzey and ordered from them, they have a good selection pricing not to bad. Fast shipping also
In fact I just received a new catalog in the mail yesterday.

Hoot 04-24-2013 06:57 AM

I have ordered stuff from them from time to time. Never been disappointed.

GotGarlic 04-24-2013 07:54 AM

I like Penzey's, too. Really good quality, and they usually include a bonus item with your order. Sometimes it's a couple pieces of whole cinnamon or nutmeg and sometimes it's a small jar of something. I've bought their sets as gifts, too.

PrincessFiona60 04-24-2013 08:04 AM

Worth every penny I spent. I love Penzey's and their spices.

Andy M. 04-24-2013 10:20 AM

Another endorsement for Penzeys. I bought online for years and then they opened a store nearby. I'm fortunate enough to be about a half-hour from the Penzeys store in Arlington, MA. Actually, I'm due for a trip very soon but I have to take inventory first.