Cooking locations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sam111

Cook
Where are the best/most talented chefs located?
Also where are the best restrauntants located in the word i.e the areas where the top places to eat are. Would it be a NYC / the melting pots places of the world or is there other places that I would be missing?

Where they make the hardest dishes...etc

Last edited:
See, the great thing is that there's no such place. What's a hard dish? Hard to find ingredients? Difficult prep work? You know, there are dishes where, if you don't, through years of experience, sense the precise moment to perform some step, it fails, and if you don't know that, it's a "hard" recipe, so hard you'll never get it right until you sense the moment.

It's been said, probably with some truth, that some very smart executive chefs test an applicant for a chef position by simply having them prepare an omelet. What does that say about who's the best chef?

The real question is how willing one is to discover the best of wherever you go. I'd pass up a lot of highly touted restaurants for what an old Greek cook cranks out in a dockside place where there's actually some physical danger involved in getting to at night. And I know a Mexican cowboy in Presidio County who can do things with a range-butchered steer that would far outdo what a New York chef could do with the same meat.

You see, talent doesn't always go chasing money and fame. But if I had to pick one region where there was lots of talent, lots of imagination, at work in the kitchen, I might look to Southeast Asia, where the range of ingredients drives some wonderful variety.

well, I guess I posed the question wrong.
What I was getting at is which places in the world have the most creative/tastest dishes... would the locations be mostly in the melting pots
Since those areas have usually the most variety to choose from.

And interms of your opinon what is the top say 10 hardest foods to make with the restriction of a couple of hours and all by yourself.

I agree with ... well, everyone. I've lived a lot of places and found some true gems in very out-of-the-way places. I mean, who would know that I'd find meccas of Vietnamese food in Garden City, KS, while traveling in a trailer? I'm not a big beer drinker, but a brewery in Missoula, MT was one of my favorites. I love the cheese available in Mineral Point, WI and a local place does great work with it. A local chef does super work with barbecue, which is not something the local area is famous for, and there is a great place in Dubuque (also a local area) is great for pan-Asian cuisine. Just down the street is a sushi chef, and, believe me, I've sushi'd with the best Hawaii had to offer and he's just as good. you just have to know what you're looking for and approach with an open mind.

Your question is simply a matter of taste and everyones is different. So answers would be just opinions. Rephrase your question to reflect that you are seeking opinions and accept them for what they are, or accept that your question has no answer.:D

I am from a small town in NorthWest GA, fortunately I traveling considerably with my job. As a result I have eaten at some of the finest resturants from here to Italy. As you would expect the larger cities tend to have a higher concentration of good eateries, but some of the best come from small towns where the chef has a special niche that he portrays in his/her food. The other thing I love to do is go to the ethenic centers in some of the larger cities. As an example, I love little Italy in NY.
I always ask "where do the locals go for good food"? That questions takes some of the glitter out, as I prefer good food over how the place looks. This has been really benefical when you go to some vacations spots like the Florida coast. You can find the hole in the wall places that have the most awesome fish. Enjoy!

For the most part I agree with everyone else, the only thing I can give you even though I don't really think this is a good answer, is that, in critics eyes, the "best restaurant in the world" is located in Spain.

Outside Fenway Park in the Sausage Man. He has a cart on wheels, a butane tank and a grill on top. He makes the best Italian sausages, peppers, onions you could ever hope to find. There are a plethora of these types of cooks/chefs all over the world. He only works at functions such as a ballgame, street festival, etc. The lunch trucks and roach coaches have some great food. Would you consider them in the question? Diners and greasy food places have developed a reputation for good home cooked meals. Would you consider them also? Where would you put these types of meal providers? There are some lunch trucks that have at great expense, outfitted their trucks to serve gourmet meals. Do they fit into the equation? These types of cooks can be in a big city today and move onto a small neighborhood the next day.

Street vendors need to have a place in your question. But where? They keep moving from town to town. :angel:

there's a jordanian guy on 11th and 56th street in manhattan that makes an unbelievable griddled spiced chicken thighs with onions and peppers, or sliced lamb with onions and peppers, or both, over yellow rice and salad, with yoghurt sauce and hot sauce. he's been there for more 20 years, and on most weekdays from 10am to 5pm.

his recipes are family secrets.

so, there ya go. nyc has at least one of the world's best chefs.

Back
Top Bottom