Pasta with sausage and tomato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheHummer

Cook
For my first recipe post I thought I would post one of my favourite recipes from Jill Dupleix, an Australian cookery writer who now has a column in the Times in Brtitain.

This is excellent comfort food for a cold and damp winter's day.

6 small pork sausages or 3 large 1 small onion, peeled
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs butter
6 Tbs milk
400 g canned plum tomatoes
1 tsp sugar pinch of grated nutmeg
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
500 g penne, rigatoni or similar short tube pasta
2 Tbs cream (optional) freshly grated parmigiano

1 Slit open the skin of the sausages, and remove the meat, discarding the skins. Finely slice the onion. Heat the olive oil and butter in a frypan and gently cook the onion for 5 or 6 minutes until soft but still white. Pinch the meat into the pan and fry, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until it is cooked but not browned.

2 Add the milk and very gently simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes. Roughly chop the tomatoes and add them, with their juices, to the meat. Add the sugar, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3 Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until it is al dente, tender but still firm to the bite. Add the cream to the sauce, and stir through, gently heating it through. Drain the pasta, toss well and serve with grated parmigiano.

Last edited:
Nice! I have a tendency to squeeze or extrude the sausage out of the skin into little meatballs because I cant trust my roomies with meat, they will put every last bit in the pot on their plate if they can see it all at once. }:(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom