Happy V E day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
As always I try to bring the subject as it is not very popular. I know there is the Veteran Day. But this day is so special that if it was not for that victory there would not be Veterans day.

I remember when you made this post last year, where does the time go.

Thank you for the reminder, we must never forget!

Thanks for the reminder, Charlie. We do need to remember.

As always I try to bring the subject as it is not very popular. I know there is the Veteran Day. But this day is so special that if it was not for that victory there would not be Veterans day.

I'm not sure I follow you, Charlie. If not for what victory would there be no Veterans Day?
Veterans Day celebrates all veterans. It falls on the day WWI ended, but encompasses all veterans.
VE day is just celebrating Germany's surrender in WWII. Isn't it?

They're kind of related, but I wouldn't say if not for one there wouldn't be another. Maybe I'm not understanding.

i can't believe i forgot to call my dad today.

he was a medic in the 109th regiment of the 28th infantry division. the bloddy bucket, as they were known.

he was a ground pounder from normandy, through france, belgium, and into germany. he was in the battle of the hertgen forest; was trapped behind enemy lnes after his unit was overrun at the battle of the bulge, making his way back to the american side with three other men once the 101st came in for reinforcement and to throw back the german advance; he even worked to convince the prisoners of a nazi work camp in northern germany when they liberated it by treating their wounds and illnesses. initially, they were so scared that they wouldn't leave the camp.

after v-e day, my dad was back in pennsylvania training for jungle combat for the invasion of japan when we dropped little boy, then fat man.

so yeah, pac, it took more than just v-e day. v-j day completed the task, which, following charlie's thought allows us to continue to celebrate of freedom today.

so, thanks charlie for helping us not to forget.

Charlie, a quick lesson in American History. Veteran's Day was originally called "Armistice Day" in commemoration of the end of WWI. The war to end all wars. And then we had Memorial Day to remember all the veterans of all of American wars. Then folks wanted special days from WWII to become a holiday. So Congress (finally got something right) combined a lot of the different days. So Armistice Day became Veterans Day and is for mostly to honor ALL living vets from all wars. Memorial Day is to honor all our dead military from all wars. There is no longer a special day set aside to honor the end of any war. Just the vets, alive or dead. End of lesson. You may now go out for recess. :angel:

Charlie, a quick lesson in American History. Veteran's Day was originally called "Armistice Day" in commemoration of the end of WWI. The war to end all wars. And then we had Memorial Day to remember all the veterans of all of American wars. Then folks wanted special days from WWII to become a holiday. So Congress (finally got something right) combined a lot of the different days. So Armistice Day became Veterans Day and is for mostly to honor ALL living vets from all wars. Memorial Day is to honor all our dead military from all wars. There is no longer a special day set aside to honor the end of any war. Just the vets, alive or dead. End of lesson. You may now go out for recess. :angel:

Exactly.
So regardless if Nazi Germany took over Europe and Russia, chances are the United States would still have their Veterans Day. That is, if we had not been drawn into WWII.

I can't believe that Europe didn't celebrate VE Day though. That's odd.
On the other hand, I can very much believe the USA didn't celebrate it. We've got our own day.

And just to say, my father faught in five major campaigns in Europe and Northern Africa and he doesn't celebrate Europe's VE Day.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I follow you, Charlie. If not for what victory would there be no Veterans Day?
Veterans Day celebrates all veterans. It falls on the day WWI ended, but encompasses all veterans.
VE day is just celebrating Germany's surrender in WWII. Isn't it?

They're kind of related, but I wouldn't say if not for one there wouldn't be another. Maybe I'm not understanding.

You are right. Veterans Day was originally called Armitice Day. Which celebrated the end of WWI. Now comes WWII and there were two theaters. The Pacific and The European one. It was becoming complicated for celebrations, so Congress made a change that encompassed all wars and veterans. One for the dead and one for all living veterans. Now the only war we celebrate the end of is the Revolutionary War. July 4th. But Veterans Day includeds all military that died in that war as well as all other wars that were to follow that America had participated and fought in. The Inians War, The Spanish/American War, WWI, WWII, The Korean Conflict, the Vietnam War, and now the fighting that has been going on in the Middle East. And there have been other squirmashes inbetween all the mentioned wars. :angel:

Exactly.
So regardless if Nazi Germany took over Europe and Russia, chances are the United States would still have their Veterans Day. ...

Actually it is quite questionable. Chances are that if they were to take Europe, they would have taken the rest of the world too. And we'd be speaking German today.

I am sure your father have been under the same spell everybody else is. That is not to celebrate that day.

Charlie, America was involved in two fronts. The Pacific Theater of Operations fighting Japan and the European Theater of Operations fighting the Nazis. So we have two days that were days of the end of the fighting. One in May when The Nazis fell and then the following September when Japan surrendered. For us the war didn't end until Japan surrendered. And that was after the Nazis fell. Then the logistics of getting our boys home from Europe meant a long wait for a lot of them. When we were able to get the ships over there to Europe to bring them home, they were so crowded that they were taking turns sleeping on the deck while the rest remained standing. We were glad that the war had ended on both sides of the world, but our job was not done by a long shot. We still had cleanup on both fronts. And that took another year of hard work. Not all our boys came home right away. They remained to do the cleanup. And a lot of our boys volunteered to remain behind until the job was done. And it was the same in Japan with our boys. So which day should we celebrate. VE Day or VJ Day. It is kind of complicated.

BTW, just a piece of last minutes news. The last Japanese soldier was found on a Pacific Island (Okinawa) in a cave long after 1960. He refused to come out of the cave. The Americans had to find a Japanese to give him commands in his language. He refused to believe the war was over and that Japan had lost. They didn't give him that last piece of news until after he came out of the cave. They were afraid that he would commit suicide in the cave. :angel:

that nutcase continued to assasinate locals for decades until he finally came out.

i don't think it was okinawa, btw. it believe it was a phillipine island. and it was 1980.

he was received in japan as a hero when he finally capitulated.

after speaking to my eldest sister's now deceased fil, who just happened to be chesty puller's driver and bodyguard, the bastard should have been shot.

jus' sayin'..

(that last bit was sarcasm. i wholly agree. my sister's fil, and the many islanders felt the same).

my dad still calls them japs, and germans krauts. some things are hard to change when the security of the freedom of world was in the balance. i'm pretty sure that's what charlie's reminder meant.

btw, i didn't see anyone else's reminder.

once again, thanks chuck.

Last edited:
that nutcase continued to assasinate locals for decades until he finally came out.

i don't think it was okinawa, btw. it believe it was a phillipine island. and it was 1980.

he was received in japan as a hero when he finally capitulated.

after speaking to my eldest sister's now deceased fil, who just happened to be chesty puller's driver and bodyguard, the bastard should have been shot.

jus' sayin'..

(that last bit was sarcasm. i wholly agree. my sister's fil, and the many islanders felt the same).

my dad still calls them japs, and germans krauts. some things are hard to change when the security of the freedom of world was in the balance. i'm pretty sure that's what charlie's reminder meant.

btw, i didn't see anyone else's reminder.

once again, thanks chuck.

You are most likely very right about the details. I used to get very upset when I would see Japanese tourist visiting the Arizona when I lived in Hawaii. And I still do when I think of it. Sorry, but I find it hard to forget or forgive. So I can understand where your father is coming from. It came from the propaganda of our own government. It is what we grew up with.

BTW, during WWII we had an Italian POW camp right here in Eastie out at Wood Island. The Italian women would bring out food and warm clothing for them. They were kept in pup tents the whole time they were here. Even through our N.E. winters. After the war, most of them stayed here and married local Italian girls. There was nothing left of Italy for them to go back to.

The only flag you wanted to see was ours. So the Italian women would fly them out their back window. Every time my parents saw one flying, they would report it right away. Once Il Duce fell you never saw another Italian flag. :angel:

yeah, in their own, italian guys are tough.

give 'em a uniform, a gun, and make them march in line, not so much, lol.

reminds me of vintage wwii french rifles.

they are advertised as never fired, dropped only once.

Last edited:
yeah, in their own, italian guys are tough.

give 'em a uniform, a gun, and make them march in line, not so much, lol.

reminds me of vintage wwii french rifles.

they are advertised as never fired, dropped only once.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :wacko:Are you in cahoots with PF? Here I go again. :angel:

naw, lol.

actually, i think she's bought one of thise rifles to hunt me.
they thankfully don't shoot straight.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom