I'm finally the master of my trash can smoker!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairygirl69

Senior Cook
I was only able to get the heat up to 185 according to two thermometers but I wondered if I was taking the temp from the wrong place (the top) when a lot of heat was generated at the bottom. I went with my gut feeling and put 6 bs chicken breasts sprinkled with my special house seasoning. It was done right on time (1 hour 25 minutes) according to everything I researched for a smoker that's heated to 225. They were the best bs chicken breasts I've ever made! That includes the grill and pan searing.

The top will always measure hotter than below, unless you are right on top of the coals or heat. My Weber Smokey Mtn runs about 8 degrees colder from the dome to the fist grate to the one below that one.
As long as everything is coming out done is all that matters.

I have learned it takes a little more skill to smoke food than grill, I think. But it was so rewarding when I fed a friend recovering in a nursing home some smoked chicken. She really needed some homemade food too!

In my 55 gallon upright drum smoker temps can vary as much as over 50F depending on where I probe for temp, even from center of grate to edge of grate there's a significant variance.

In my 55 gallon upright drum smoker temps can vary as much as over 50F depending on where I probe for temp, even from center of grate to edge of grate there's a significant variance.

I wish I'd known that earlier lol. It would have saved me a lot of shoe leather meat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom