Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Beef (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Dry Aging: A whole Rib Eye Loin Roast Pictorial (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/dry-aging-a-whole-rib-eye-loin-roast-pictorial-85701.html)

Rocklobster 05-24-2013 09:05 AM

Dry Aging: A whole Rib Eye Loin Roast Pictorial

1 Attachment(s)
My boss and I have started to dry age a Rib Eye loin at work. We hung it yesterday in the walk-in fridge. The plan is to let it hang for 5 weeks and then cook it up and eat it at his place on July 1 long weekend, which is a Canada Day holiday. I have taken a photo and will take more periodically to attempt to show the changes and transformation. Feel free to discuss as we go along.

Friday, May 24. Hung for 24 hours.

GotGarlic 05-24-2013 09:26 AM

Cool. So you're hanging it openly, with no covering or anything? What about drips? How much does it weigh?

Cooks' Illustrated had an article about dry-aging steaks. They recommended covering them with paper towels and placing them on a rack over a baking sheet for a few days. I tried it out and it was pretty good.

Rocklobster 05-24-2013 09:32 AM

It is hanging openly about 10 feet away from the compressor fan. I am going to tie it up with butcher's string over the next couple of days so we don't find it on the floor some day. lol. He just wants to keep it on the hook but I am afraid it will drop. I never did weigh it. I should. That is a good idea. We have a roasting tray on the floor to catch drips but as of this morning there was nothing on it. It has dried up quite a bit since yesterday and I don't think we will have any dripping. I will get the weight today when I go into work. It will be interesting to see how much it changes by the time we are ready to eat it. Thanks for the suggestion.

pacanis 05-24-2013 09:48 AM

Take a pic of the end, Rock, so we can admire the marbling.

Rocklobster 05-24-2013 09:50 AM

Will do. I am heading in right now. I will post it this evening. Thanks...

pacanis 05-24-2013 09:55 AM

Tease, lol.

Aunt Bea 05-24-2013 10:45 AM

Do you anticipate much waste from hanging it for so long?

I have heard of this being done with large pieces of meat and some portion was always trimmed away because of shrinkage, mold etc...

Very interesting project!

Rocklobster 05-24-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aunt Bea (Post 1269498)
Do you anticipate much waste from hanging it for so long?

I have heard of this being done with large pieces of meat and some portion was always trimmed away because of shrinkage, mold etc...

Very interesting project!

I think there will be a good portion of waste. Between shrinkage and waste I would guess there may be 60 percent of the original mass left by the time we go to eat it. I tied it up today. Just a few wraps with the string to take weight off of the hook which was already starting to rip the original hole bigger. I am sure it would rip through in a few days. I took a picture of the end but my gf has the camera in the van and she is gone shopping. I will post when she gets back.

Rocklobster 05-25-2013 07:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
End view. May 24.

pacanis 05-25-2013 07:25 AM

Oh yeah. Just right.