Dry Aging: A whole Rib Eye Loin Roast Pictorial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just had a meeting with a rep from a meat manufacturer. He is also a chef. He says that the piece of meat could lose up to 50% of its weight.

From hanging, or is that including what you trim off when it's ready?

Rock,

Did he have any thoughts on the length of time?

When I look at the natural separations on this piece of meat and then try to imagine having to trim/shrink 50% of it away I can't get a good feel for what the end product will look like. I am very curious to see how this plays out.

Rock,

Did he have any thoughts on the length of time?

When I look at the natural separations on this piece of meat and then try to imagine having to trim/shrink 50% of it away I can't get a good feel for what the end product will look like. I am very curious to see how this plays out.

I think a lot of that shrinkage is from moisture evaporating from the meat, thus concentrating the beefy flavor, not from trimming.

Based on what I've seen on TV, there is a fair amount that has to be removed.

Attachments

• esq-dry-aged-science-121211-xlg.jpeg
    esq-dry-aged-science-121211-xlg.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,282
With it losing 50% of it's weight you can see why it costs so much. Just to serve it doubles the cost, let alone the time and space for it's creation.

This is very interesting! Kinda like a science fair project. How will you cook it when the time gets here?

We're not 100% decided yet. It is going on the bbq/outdoor grill somehow. Either as one piece or cut up into steaks... I guess we will decide once we see how the final useable piece comes out...

Last edited:
What are your environmental particulars?

Are you, and how, controlling humidity... etc.? I am very curious on this.

What are your environmental particulars?

Are you, and how, controlling humidity... etc.? I am very curious on this.
No control other than it is hanging in a corner, in a commercial walk in refrigerator. Undisturbed and away from the other produce. The temperature is the legally required 2 degrees Celsius. The other produce in the cooler is, and has always been fine. We are kind of going guerrilla on this.So far things look good.

Last edited:
No control other than it is hanging in a corner, in a commercial walk in refrigerator. Undisturbed and away from the other produce. The temperature is the legally required 2 degrees Celsius. The other produce in the cooler is, and has always been fine. We are kind of going guerrilla on this.So far things look good.

Thanks.

Don't know much about this but I know I like the steaks I get that have been dry aged. :)

Yeah, how will you know?
Are you just going by time? Is there a firmness (or lack of) you are checking out? A color?

And I opt for one steak cut and cooked like you normally would just to see. Kind of like an appy for you and your boss, but the home run* would be a nice 2" thick** cut reverse seared. mmmm :yum:

* hat trick
** 5.08cm thick
;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom