Any general rules for timing chicken breasts on the grill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BenM

Assistant Cook
Obviously a thermometer is the best way to measure chicken doneness, but thought you find ladies and gents might have some general rules or knowledge about knowing when chicken breasts on the grill are done without the use of thermometers.

THANK GOODNESS grilling time is here again!

Too many variables.

How big are the breasts, how cold are they, how hot is the fire, how close to the fire is the grill surface, what's the ambient temperature, is the lid open or closed, etc.

Why try to deal with all that when all you need to know is 161ºF and they're done.

I am more looking for a general rule. Like with hamburger, I know that if I squeeze them a bit and the juice is clear, it is done. I know that is not the best practice and could end up with a dry burger, but it is an easy way to tell it is safe to eat without the temp if I am camping or something.

With steak, you can tell by touch. etc.

Last edited:
A thermometer is the best method, but if you don't have one on hand you can do the finger test. Press it with your finger and if it's firm and clear juices run out of it, it's probably done. If you want a little more assurance, stick the tip of a knife in it. If clear juices bubble up, it's done.

I'll admit I don't use a thermometer very often, and very rarely have undercooked meat. I can almost always tell it's done by how it looks and feels when prodded.

Think about the other side of the coin for a moment. "The breasts feel firm and the juices run clear. I guess they're done. I'd better leave them on the grill for a bit longer to make sure, I don't want anyone to get sick."

Then you wonder why your chicken is dry.

What's your aversion to using a thermometer?

No aversion, just not always available or perhaps I want to cook without a thermometer or perhaps I don't want all of the juices dripping out when I stab it with the thermometer. Heat management is important, but perhaps there are alternate ways to do things. Just because a person may want a steak medium rare, it does not mean I am going to shove a thermometer in there... I am going to go by the feels. I may have the inclination to do the same with chicken if I can do it well and safely.

One tip that will help avoid dry chicken is brining it. I've found that brined chicken will remain juicy, even if you leave it on the grill past the point of being done temperature-wise.

No aversion, just not always available or perhaps I want to cook without a thermometer or perhaps I don't want all of the juices dripping out when I stab it with the thermometer. Heat management is important, but perhaps there are alternate ways to do things. Just because a person may want a steak medium rare, it does not mean I am going to shove a thermometer in there... I am going to go by the feels. I may have the inclination to do the same with chicken if I can do it well and safely.

I safely, and accurately cook chicken pieces, without a thermometer, on the grill all the time. But I can only do that because I've been using the same kind of grill for thirty + years, and have done it enough to know how long it takes, with the methods I use. When cooking a whole bird, I figure 10 minutes per pound, with a divided bed of charcoal, and all vents half open. I then check with the thermometer. It usually takes another 7 minutes or so.

I have used the 12 minutes per lb. rule with good success. it works with whole birds, even large turkeys. But I always double check with the meat thermometer.

For whole birds, use a thermometer that you can leave in the bird. Check it after 12 minutes per pound. You don't lose any juice from stabbing the meat.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

One tip that will help avoid dry chicken is brining it. I've found that brined chicken will remain juicy, even if you leave it on the grill past the point of being done temperature-wise.

+1. Good stuff.

Instant read thermometer, end of story. That way when you don't specify, bone in, skin on, boneless/skinless etc., there isn't any guessing!;)

Andy's right.

There cannot be a reliable general rule because too many variables are involved.

A thermometer is the only way to assure properly cooked chicken.

Andy's right.

There cannot be a reliable general rule because too many variables are involved.

A thermometer is the only way to assure properly cooked chicken.

Yeah, but what did people do before thermometers were redily available?

...or overcook it "just to be on the safe side."

I guess that would be the difference between a gourmand, and a cook. The cook overcooks the protein just to be on the safe side. The gourmand learns to cook it properly, and attempts to do so every time they cook, with, or without a meat thermometer.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

andy has a great point about the variables.

but, variables aside:

i'm goin' with the chief once again. besides learning the particulars of your grill like the back of your hand (umm, ouch. maybe that's a bad expression for grilling :)), i learned how to check if chicken breasts or tenderloins are done while working the kitchen at our baseball field's kitchen from the head cook.

we have to crank out food so fast from a tiny it'll make your head spin, so sending out under-cooked chicken was our greatest concern.

once you've grilled the boneless chicken on each side for a few minutes, pick it up in a pair of tongs and try to bend it until it cracks a bit.

if it just bends, it isn't done. if it cracks just a little and there's no pink inside, it's done. if no juices run when cracked, you overcooked it. anywhere from just a little to shoe leather. but if you've got it right, it'll be delicious.

if you do this a number of times you'll get to know your grill, the approximate heat, and the time needed to cook various thicknesses.

I guess that would be the difference between a gourmand, and a cook. The cook overcooks the protein just to be on the safe side. The gourmand learns to cook it properly, and attempts to do so every time they cook, with, or without a meat thermometer.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, the OP wanted 'general rules'. I contend there are no reliable 'general rules' because of the variables. Yes, a person can learn to cook it properly without a thermometer by learning the variables for himself. I contend that for the majority, this is not going to work.

I don't often grill chicken breasts, but when I do I drink Dos Equis.
Two beers and they're done ;)

Seriously, you need to find your own general rules, or rule of thumb.
Bucky uses the bend or crack test, but he probably derived at this by testing with other methods (cutting into it, taking temp) and realized that the breast also cracked when it was done and barely bent when not. You need to start with a tried and proven method and then learn to recognize another trait the breast exhibits. For me it's smell. If it smells like cooked chicken, it's done to my liking.
But I still double-check it with a thermometer or by cutting into it.

Back
Top Bottom