ISO - One Pan Yellow Cake Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I recently posted a chocolate cake recipe, http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/dinner-sunday-2nd-june-2013-a-85786.html#post1271578 that was, a.) smaller in size to fit into an 8" or 9" square pan and, b) a one pan recipe where you mix the recipe in the baking dish and pop it into the oven. Perfect for a lazy baker like me.

I've been searching and cannot find the yellow cake equivalent. Can any of our baking experts offer a helping hand or am I out of luck because "yellow cakes are different"?

I am almost certain that the recipe for the chocolate cake you posted is in the King Arthur Flour 200th Annniversary cookbook. I don't remember if other flavors are included. The cookbook has a chapter on cakes mixed right in the baking pan. I will not be able to find that cookbook until I empty my storage unit, probably in December:LOL:

I've been looking, but so far have not found a yellow cake that you mix in the pan. I have found chocolate, applesauce, and carrot cakes you mix in the pan, but not a yellow cake. I have not given up yet................still looking................

I did find a recipe for a small vanilla cake, but not one that says to mix it in the pan. It does however, say that it is a one bowl cake. It is not exactly what you are asking for, but I will post it anyway since it is a smaller cake recipe.

Recipe: One-Bowl Vanilla Cake :: Alice Medrich :: Culinate

And here is one that might do well if you tried mixing it up in the pan with a wisk. Are you up for an experiment?

http://www.cookooree.com/u/alchemisty/recipes/one-bowl-no-mixer-cakes-vanilla-with-fresh-berries

Last edited:
Thanks chopper. I did a lot of looking before I posted so I understand your not being able to find it either.

Thanks chopper. I did a lot of looking before I posted so I understand your not being able to find it either.

I figured that you had already looked, but I was having fun with it. I also looked in my books here at home and am still looking, but have not found what you are seeking. :mellow:

Andy, I think I have one that uses butterscotch pudding mix in it. Do you want that one? I'm pretty sure I know where to find it.

Thanks Alix but I'm looking for a classic yellow cake to complement the chocolate one I found.

Yellow cake is tricky and usually kinda technique oriented.

I've always wondered why chocolate cakes can often benefit from such easy preparations but not yellow cakes. I have great vanilla cake recipes but they are always technique driven.

I wonder if the chocolate cake recipe could be adapted to vanilla by omitting the chocolate and adding a bit more flour, and maybe bumping up the vanilla.

Every "easy" vanilla cake that I've tried left me unimpressed. Maybe I'm just more critical of the texture and flavor of vanilla cake

Yellow cake is tricky and usually kinda technique oriented.

I've always wondered why chocolate cakes can often benefit from such easy preparations but not yellow cakes. I have great vanilla cake recipes but they are always technique driven.

I wonder if the chocolate cake recipe could be adapted to vanilla by omitting the chocolate and adding a bit more flour, and maybe bumping up the vanilla.

Every "easy" vanilla cake that I've tried left me unimpressed. Maybe I'm just more critical of the texture and flavor of vanilla cake

When making the checkerboard cake, I think you would have to compare the two recipes side by side to see where the major differences are. It would be a good starting point as it is made in a single layer. :angel:

I remember making the 1-2-3-4 cake in a square pan and served it as a single layer. Just enough for the family. So I went on a search. The following one is I believe the same one I made, only this one shows a round single cake pan.

Cookbook:1-2-3-4 Cake - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

This is a very old recipe. When fresh farm eggs were plentiful and inexpensive. It is from the 1800's. I remember my mother making it often when she was not making me fresh gingerbread.

There were many variants of this cake out there when I googled it. This was the closest to my memory. :angel:

Andy,

Your chocolate cake recipe goes by various names; Crazy Cake, Wacky Cake, and Cockeyed Cake, are the most common. Depending on who relates the tale, its origins are either Depression era housewives making due with what they had, or a recipe invented during WWII war rationing. Either way, it was re-popularized by Peg Bracken in the early 1960's in her I Hate To Cook Book.

If you Google "Vanilla Crazy Cake" or "Vanilla Wacky Cake" or some variation you will find a quite a few recipes that follow the same method and apparently have the same texture. Although I've seen the recipes around on the web before, I hesitate to link to any particular one, since I've never tried a vanilla version.

Hope that helps.

I am almost certain that the recipe for the chocolate cake you posted is in the King Arthur Flour 200th Annniversary cookbook. I don't remember if other flavors are included. The cookbook has a chapter on cakes mixed right in the baking pan. I will not be able to find that cookbook until I empty my storage unit, probably in December:LOL:

The only one approximating a yellow cake is called Citrus Twist, in that cook book. There are several. Try the KA website, Andy!

Andy,

Your chocolate cake recipe goes by various names; Crazy Cake, Wacky Cake, and Cockeyed Cake, are the most common. Depending on who relates the tale, its origins are either Depression era housewives making due with what they had, or a recipe invented during WWII war rationing. Either way, it was re-popularized by Peg Bracken in the early 1960's in her I Hate To Cook Book.

If you Google "Vanilla Crazy Cake" or "Vanilla Wacky Cake" or some variation you will find a quite a few recipes that follow the same method and apparently have the same texture. Although I've seen the recipes around on the web before, I hesitate to link to any particular one, since I've never tried a vanilla version.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Silversage. I found one that is similar to the usual wacky cake recipe. I'll give it a try.

I remember making the 1-2-3-4 cake in a square pan and served it as a single layer. Just enough for the family. So I went on a search. The following one is I believe the same one I made, only this one shows a round single cake pan.

Cookbook:1-2-3-4 Cake - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

This is a very old recipe. When fresh farm eggs were plentiful and inexpensive. It is from the 1800's. I remember my mother making it often when she was not making me fresh gingerbread.

There were many variants of this cake out there when I googled it. This was the closest to my memory. :angel:

Thanks Addie.

The only one approximating a yellow cake is called Citrus Twist, in that cook book. There are several. Try the KA website, Andy!

I have to keep reminding myself that KA stands for King Arthur, not Kitchen Aid.

Thanks for the idea. I checked their site for a yellow cake version. No dice.

I did find a recipe for a small vanilla cake, but not one that says to mix it in the pan. It does however, say that it is a one bowl cake. It is not exactly what you are asking for, but I will post it anyway since it is a smaller cake recipe.

Recipe: One-Bowl Vanilla Cake :: Alice Medrich :: Culinate

And here is one that might do well if you tried mixing it up in the pan with a wisk. Are you up for an experiment?

One-Bowl No-Mixer Cakes: Vanilla with Fresh Berries recipe on Cookooree

Thanks for all the research chopper.

I have to keep reminding myself that KA stands for King Arthur, not Kitchen Aid.

Thanks for the idea. I checked their site for a yellow cake version. No dice.

LOL!! I use KA recipes in my KA mixer...my sister's name is Kelly Anne...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom