Indian food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How do you make your home made yogurt? I tried making it and it tasted good but I like it thicker. I drained it, but it still didn't get as thick as I like it. I buy plain greek yogurt and love the thickness. Sometimes I drain it to make it even thicker.

Make the yogurt in earthen or clay pots, it will absorp excess water and the yogurt will be thick. If possible use new pots each time you make. We generally do this, earthen pot is very cheap here.

Try adding a pinch or two of asafoetida, it has a distinct flavor which may be what you're missing. =)

Hi,

Does anyone have recipe (not cumin based) for Indian yogurt raita condiment that has a pleasant but more "sour" flavor that I seem to be missing.
Is there a herb that subtly intensifies the agreeable "sour" taste I am missing?
also, the mango lassi recipes I find are also missing this subtly sour taste...
anyone?
Lemon juice?

Are you unintentionally buying "mild" yoghourt? A lot of mass-produced supermarket yoghourt is dumbed down. An organic one might be better. Or you could make your own. I make my own using unflavoured Easi-Yo (cheating!). If you leave it to "cook" for the maximum recommended time it is quite sharply flavoured.

Incidentally I never put cumin in mine and neither does my favourite restaurant.

I used to belong to the BBC food forum (until they decided, in their wisdom to close all their forums :wacko:) and one of the members was an Indian lady - Mamta - who has a wonderful (well I think it is :yum:) website with so many brilliant Indian recipes. There are lots of raita recipes - just type raita into the search box.

Mamta's Kitchen Recipe Search!

I love Indian food and thanks for the website info.

I make a veg and lamb korma that's easy enough.

Back
Top Bottom