Stains on Stainless Steel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmsouth1

Assistant Cook
I made a big mistake and left my Cuisinart skillet on to pre-heat and left the room and forgot it for about 15 min. The bottom got dark. I was able to use Bar Keeper's friend to get most of it out.

So far it seems to be cooking ok but now I am having some trouble cleaning it. I guess it is some olive oil residue that will not come off no matter how hard I scrub with Bar keeper's friend. I do have back problems so maybe I am not scrubbing hard enough.

I am so mad at myself that I almost ruined the pan and I hope I haven't done any permanent damage to it. I would appreciate any suggestions to get the residue mainly around the edges off.

Thanks!!

Put the pan in a trash bag with a bowl of ammonia and tie it shut. Leave it outdoors overnight. The pan should come clean easily in the morning.

Thanks, I have searched and read several solutions but most were using Bar Keeper's friend. This one sounds like a good one to try. Thanks!!

BKF is a good thing to have on hand for stubborn stuff when you are doing dishes.

NH3 will take care of the heavy stuff with little effort.

My SIL burned olive oil in one of her All Clad stainless pans and it was really bad. She was going to throw it away.

But I got it looking brand new again with oven cleaner and barkeeper's friend

I don't normally keep ammonia on hand, but I always have oven cleaner. I love it for getting polymerized fat off my frypans. As you've discovered, BKF isn't always up to the task. Unless it's raining, there's no need to use a plastic bag. I spray it on and place the pan on the patio overnight. Easy peasy. I also use it on the underside of my heavy aluminum pans.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom