Dogs in the car

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
I think this is important:

image-2866465530.jpg

Last edited:
Amen to that Dawg! I have a relative who wouldn't wait for the cops and broke out a car window with a crowbar when he couldn't find a stupid dog owner in the deadly heat. Instead of getting in trouble with the law he was written up as a hero in the small town Arizona news paper.

good advice, dawg. thanks.

and one more thing: dogs shouldn't have free run inside a car when it is in motion. theyshould be on a leash and tethered in some way to prevent them from jumping out a window, or worse, jumping into the driver's lap which could distract the driver, or even cause the driver to lose control of the vehicle.

Only slightly off topic--I hate, hate, hate to see people driving with a dog in their lap. Aside from the dog being in the way of the driver, the dog will DIE if the airbag goes off. A little fender-bender (probably caused by the dog getting in the way of the steering wheel), airbag deploys, dead dog.

Fortunately, most people don't drive with babies on their laps any more.

I could never imagine leaving my kids in a car during the summer months. I do take them with me but I take my spare key with me so I can leave my car running with the air on for them. I lock up my car so no one steals them or my car. I don't do it often but sometimes they really need to get away and go out with me.

This is very important, I agree. Not to be taken lightly!

Love my dog. He loves taking rides with me but I would never leave him in the car if it's hot, at all.

One of my friends routinely left her yorkies in a little kennel in her car, sometimes all day. She said they cry if they're left at home. And I routinely chewed her butt for doing that, explaining how hot a 70° day is in the car. She's promised she won't do that anymore.

Last edited:
It is such a horrible thing to do.

In our little town people are very aware of this problem and watch all the time - even in the winter months when it is so cold. It is not at all uncommon for them to have the police come out and take care of the problem.

I could never imagine leaving my kids in a car during the summer months. I do take them with me but I take my spare key with me so I can leave my car running with the air on for them. I lock up my car so no one steals them or my car. I don't do it often but sometimes they really need to get away and go out with me.

I am confused. First you say you could never imagine leaving your kids in a car during the summer months. But then you say you take a spare key so you can leave the car running with the air on for them. Then you say you lock your car so no one will steal your kids or car. What happens if your kids accidently hit the shift while the car is running? What if one of them hits the button to unlock the car? :angel:

good advice, dawg. thanks.

and one more thing: dogs shouldn't have free run inside a car when it is in motion. theyshould be on a leash and tethered in some way to prevent them from jumping out a window, or worse, jumping into the driver's lap which could distract the driver, or even cause the driver to lose control of the vehicle.

In an accident, small dogs can become a flying projectile and go through the windshield very easily. They now have special harnesses for dogs that hook right into the seatbelts. They come in different sizes. A good investment for dog owners. :angel:

yup, and bigger dogs become bigger flying objects.

sparrowgrass, i hadn't thought about the airbag thing with lap dogs. good point.

i knew a girl who is lucky to be alive from an accident caused by her medium sized dog jumping into her lap when she was heading back to college in upstate n.y. to clean out her dorm room after sophmore year.

as she was sailing along at around 65mph on the nys thruway, her dog saw something and dove accross her lap causing her to jerk the wheel and go off the road and over a small cliff.

if it weren't for another driver, who was a good distance behind her, witness her accident and call 911, she would have died there in her car.
unfortunately, er dog was killed.

she spent a few weeks in a coma, then a year and a half in the hospital.

she lost 1 eye, and now walks with a severe limp and looks kinda a bit bent over and to one side.

i've not seen any dog owners chime in on this slightly off topic subject yet. hmmm.

anywho, back to toasting weiners in cars. :(

Great points. So sad about your friend, BT.

Dogs also love to travel with their heads out the window, ears flapping and tongues out. Not good either. They can get their eyes and ears sandblasted, with ensuing infections. We are blessed with Beagle, who adores the car, but she rides in her kennel secured in the back seat. She loves it.

Beagle takes "car" very seriously. If a ride is mentioned, she will stand by the car, refusing an offer to go for a walk, food, etc. I've had to let her sit in the car in the garage for an hour, (good temp) after SOMEONE mistakenly offered to take her for a ride before we were done packing for a trip.

Last edited:
I guess I really didn't explain my first response very well. I would never just do open windows with my kids in the car, that goes for leaving them at the camper when I have to run out for supplies or at home here without the air conditioning on.

It's rare that they are with me where it calls for them being left in the car while I run inside somewhere for something but it has happened in the past where I had no choice.

The pups stay in the back. I have a Subaru Outback so the seats lay down and they have plenty of room. I have a metal gate that prevents them from entering the front seat area. Now that I have three dogs it will be less room back there but I think they'll be okay.

I got stuck camping alone with Boomer and Smokey one year when my area was hit by a flood. At that time I was in the pop up camper and there were sightings of bears, coyote and even a mountain lion. The roads were all totally wiped out and the hubby couldn't even get to me if he tried. It took 3 days for any kind of route to be opened up for him to come help me and get the camper closed up and all of us back home. There was no way I was going to go anywhere for anything without taking the 2 dogs with me. They couldn't fire off a gun to keep themselves safe if that mountain lion came into camp. It was spotted less the a half mile from me.

I needed some small supplies to get me through the days and nights until I could get safely out of that area. That was the last time the pups were alone in my car but I would still do it again as long as the air is on there's no problem with that.

I had a friend who would allow her one dog sit on her lap while steering with her legs. I refused to drive with her and I always told her she was going to kill someone driving like that. I'm no longer involved with her for other reasons but out of the 20 plus years we were friends I never left her drive when we would go out.

Okay, I gottacha. The way it was written made it sound like you would leave your kids in the car with the engine running just after you said you would never leave kids in a car. I was horrified. :angel:

Okay, I gottacha. The way it was written made it sound like you would leave your kids in the car with the engine running just after you said you would never leave kids in a car. I was horrified. :angel:

Addie, I too was horrified, until I realized her "kids" were of the canine variety!

You realize, Ahoy, that we were poised to call Child Protective Services on you! :LOL:

Last edited:
Addie, I too was horrified, until I realized her "kids" were of the canine variety!

You realize, Ahoy, that we were poised to call Child Protective Services on you! :LOL:

Thank you. I wasn't alone. I knew I was opening a bucket of worms, but I just had to call her on it. I kept checking everytime I walked by the computer to see if she responded. :angel:

My mom has two small dogs they wear seat belts, LOL!

She will leave them in the car with the A/C running, this is in Maine, where I guess the crime rate isn't as bad. Those dogs are so spoiled!

Last summer she insisted on taking one of her little ones with us to the coast and I had the rental car, I wouldn't let her leave him in the car to run around (leather seats, nice new car). So we had to find a restaurant that had outdoor seating... Good thing is was a very well behaved pooch!

Back
Top Bottom