Alix's Biscuits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
2 cups flour
4 tsps baking powder
1/4 cup butter
2/3 - 3/4 milk
shake of sugar
shake of salt

Blend like pastry, then add the milk til dough sticks. Either cut out with a glass or make biscuit "blobs". This makes about a dozen small biscuits.

OK, so this is my usual recipe. I think your recipe has less baking powder (thus less rise) and less liquid but more fat. I think maybe part of the issue might be how you mixed it? Did you use cold fat and cut it in like pastry? It works better that way. I have another TNT biscuit recipe that might work for you. Comparisons at least will help you adjust your current recipe.

BUTTERMILK
BISCUITS

1½ cup cold butter
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups self-rising flour
3/4 to 1 cup cold buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425; grease a baking sheet or use a sheet of parchment paper.
Cut in butter and flour coarsely. Add milk, stir to just incorporate. Turn out on floured board, knead 3-4 times. Pat dough out to a rectangle 3/4 inch thick. Cut out biscuits, place on baking sheet. Dip your knuckles into a small dish of buttermilk, and lightly indent the biscuits. Bake 13-15 minutes, til light brown.
To make drop biscuits, increase milk to 1 to 1 1¼ cups flour and drop biscuits on baking sheet.

My recipe? I don't even have a recipe ;^)

What is "blend like pastry"? I've never made pastry.

Alix, are you talking to yourself?

Nice recipes!

Last edited:
Sorry sorry! I kept losing my biscuit recipes on here. I c&p from inside an old thread and set it up separately so when I'm at work I can easily find them again. LOL! I don't read much past the ingredient list at this point as I've made them a bazillion times.

You'd think with as many times as I've made them I'd memorize it but nope...still need to check the ratio of fat to flour to leavening.

@pacanis, you blend pastry with a pastry blender or with a couple of knives and and cut the fat into the dry ingredients until its small sized peas, or coarse cornmeal.

Last edited:
does ken get to pinch your biscuits?

you know, steal a few hot ones right out of the oven?

wait, what did you think i meant?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom