Turkey Drumsticks - Crockpot vs. Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonathanL883

Assistant Cook
I bought some turkey drumsticks for dinner and I was wondering what method of cooking you woulld recommend. I'm considering doing them in the crockpot but I don't want them to disintegrate. I also would like to know what temperature is best for oven roasting in this case.

I have the following ingredients list:

3.5 pounds turkey drumsticks

1/8 cup coconut oil
1/8 cup olive oil
1/2 cup Chardonnay
1 cup diced tomatoes

2 tablespoons dried thyme
2 tablespoons dried sage
2 tablespoons dried rosemary
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/4 cup chopped carrots
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 chopped onion

I've adopted this from a recipe on epicurious.com. Ideally the drumsticks would come as moist and as possible tender without falling apart.

Thanks for the advice,
Jonathan.

Do you want a crispier skin? If so, oven. If you don't care, crockpot. No clue on how long etc. to cook them for though. Never did turkey legs. That's a VA Tech staple at their football games (Hokies mascot is the turkey) and we're rival UVA family so we'd avoid turkey legs!

When I was a university student on a very limited budget, turkey drumsticks were cheap (not as cheap as Rama noodles, but the cheapest cut of meat around), I would cook them in the crockpot.

I like them oven barbequed or plain roasted.

350 degrees for an hour or so covered and another half hour to an hour uncovered.

The barbequed ones are great for kids to swing around and make a mess with, sort of like Henry VIII.

I like em roasted for a cheap Thanksgiving type meal.

I use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the sticker things from mine after they have been roasted. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
I don't use the oven or a crockpot.

I love to make turkey stew. I always boil them in water for a long enough time so that the meat is tender and can be stripped from the bones and tendons which make the drumsticks extremely tough.

Save some of the stock, freeze and use in other dishes. The stock is very, very good.

I have had them done off heat in a charcoal BBQ. Came out moist and tender. What I remember was there was a drip pan underneath the legs. In the meantime other meats were being done over more direct heat. Every time the lid was opened, the legs were turned and brushed with seasoned olive oil. Low and slow seem to be his method. And it worked. The meat was done to perfection and the skin Thanksgiving crispy. When I asked him what seasoning he put in the olive oil, he told me Bell's Seasoning. The legs were for picking later when everyone was looking for something to gnaw on but didn't want anything heavy. He sliced the meat off and it became finger food. :angel:

I ended up making the drumsticks in the crockpot. I cooked them on high for a little over three hours on high before everyone was ready to eat. They would have been great had I been able to give them another 30 minutes or so.

I generally stew turkey drumsticks. Then, I cube the meat and make a simple salad with tomato chunks, lg dice green bell pepper and diced onion. Stir in some mayo, salt and pepper to taste. Chill overnight for best flavor. Unfortunately, my garden didn't produce much of anything this year and I haven't found turkey legs in the store all summer. I really crave this salad.

Ooooo I forgot about that one. Turkey Salad. Yes to drums and thighs for most flavor. I haven't grilled a turkey this summer, so no drumsticks at my house either.

I haven't seen any turkey drumsticks in my grocery store either. Maybe there weren't any three legged turkeys this year.

Hey, it is only an observation. What other explanation is there when they sell only one leg? :angel:

If I boil up a bunch, I make turkey and noodles. Just throw in some celery and onion to the broth and pitch in some nice thick homemade noodles (pre-cooked). I add in a bit of sage, rosemary, etc. stir in the turkey and adjust seasoning. Add a bit of cornstarch or flour slurry to thicken (cream of something soup works too) and it is done. In this area folks serve it over mashed potatoes. I don't as my hubby thinks that is gross. I also make turkey soup with celery, onions, and carrots. Picky hubby hate brothy soup, so I don't make the soup very often.

I am more of a beef stew/chicken noodle soup. But if I have a turkey leg, I roast it and then it becomes a small pot of soup. I am definitely not a fan of white poultry meat. But I do like the legs. And the meat on a turkey leg is so good in soup. :angel:

My family prefers the dark meat, too. Usually the cats get fed the breast meat if I do a whole chicken or turkey. White meat just doesn't have enough flavor or moisture for us. Glad to know There are others who feel the same.

My family prefers the dark meat, too. Usually the cats get fed the breast meat if I do a whole chicken or turkey. White meat just doesn't have enough flavor or moisture for us. Glad to know There are others who feel the same.

When my daughter makes lasagna, she likes to have meat in it. Sometimes it is tiny meatballs, other times it is chicken. She knows I HATE the white meat, so she makes one corner without any meat for me. I don't care how healthy it is. I don't like it. :angel:

When my daughter makes lasagna, she likes to have meat in it. Sometimes it is tiny meatballs, other times it is chicken. She knows I HATE the white meat, so she makes one corner without any meat for me. I don't care how healthy it is. I don't like it. :angel:

When I make lasagna, I put a pound of Italian sausage and 4 pounds of cheese in it! Lasagna is meant to be delicious!

When I make lasagna, I put a pound of Italian sausage and 4 pounds of cheese in it! Lasagna is meant to be delicious!

I agree with you. But when my daughter decides to put chicken in her lasagna, I want no part of any white meat. But when she puts the tiny meat balls in it, I will gladly have two helpings of it and still take some home. :angel:

I haven't seen any turkey drumsticks in my grocery store either. Maybe there weren't any three legged turkeys this year.
Hey, it is only an observation. What other explanation is there when they sell only one leg? :angel:

Turkey parts are an industry in itself. Smoked parts are another industry. We can get legs, thighs, wings, necks, innards and breasts fresh at the grocery store year round. I read somewhere that parts outsell whole birds by a very large margin.
I personally like the dark too. Thighs take first place for me. or the flat part of the wing.

Lucky cats.:) My family is the opposite. When I make a turkey, I have to slice some breast and reserve it or there will be no white meat left.
I like dark meat. I think they like white because they have gravy to pour over it.

I love sausage in my lasagna. I like meatballs in my lasagna. I slice both and use them in the layering.
I also like vegetarian lasagna. No meat, just a combination of cheeses.

Last edited:
I bought some turkey drumsticks for dinner and I was wondering what method of cooking you woulld recommend. I'm considering doing them in the crockpot but I don't want them to disintegrate. I also would like to know what temperature is best for oven roasting in this case.

I have the following ingredients list:

3.5 pounds turkey drumsticks

1/8 cup coconut oil
1/8 cup olive oil
1/2 cup Chardonnay
1 cup diced tomatoes

2 tablespoons dried thyme
2 tablespoons dried sage
2 tablespoons dried rosemary
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/4 cup chopped carrots
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 chopped onion

I've adopted this from a recipe on epicurious.com. Ideally the drumsticks would come as moist and as possible tender without falling apart.

Thanks for the advice,
Jonathan.
If the drumsticks look as though they could support a turkey that could take over the world (!) they'll probably be tough so I'd be inclined to casserole or braise them in the Crockpot. In my experience eating the enormous ones roasted isn't a very good experience.

The last turkey drumstick I bought weighed nearly 3 pounds on its own and served me 2 main meals and plate of sandwiches and cost about $3 - talk about economical! I wouldn't have wanted to meet that turkey in a dark alley!

:LOL:

And I just thought they'd perfected a way to breed legs without the turkey attached!

In the UK they sell turkey "crowns" which is just the breast meat on the bone with the rest of the turkey removed. The thinking behind this is that "no-one" likes the dark meat. They seem very popular but I think they've taken away the best part. I expect they are very useful for the catering industry around Christmas as you don't have to be a very skilled carver to portion the meat.

I hope reading this doesn't give you my cold. I decamped to the old house while the gas man mended the central heating boiler at the new one. The old house is often colder inside than it is outside but armed with hot water bottles and winter fleecy PJs I was perfectly healthy. Here at the old house the heating works perfectly and it's very cosy despite all the boxes awaiting removal and what's happened? I've been here a week and suddenly have developed a humdinger of a head cold - runny nose, sneezing, coughing, head-ache - the whole 9 yards! I never get colds probably due to all the fresh air I get at the stables so where this one's come from I've no idea as I haven't been near anyone else's cold. Oh, and my ears ache. I'm going to bed.

Night-night.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom