ISO-Best way to make beef & vegetable tomato soup w/ pasta shells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kamikaze Watermelon

Assistant Cook
I'm making a tomato soup that includes ground beef, pasta shells, and some mixed vegetables (mushrooms, bell peppers, carrots, and green onion).

I don't have much experience with making soup, and I am wondering what is the best way to go about cooking this.

Specifically, I'd like to know if the pasta should be boiled separately before adding, when to add each of the ingredients (pasta shells, cooked ground beef, and vegetables), and how long to cook the soup for. Also, any information on temperature adjustments would be helpful.

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.

In general, you brown your meat and vegetables, add the liquid, and then add pasta. You can either cook the pasta before adding it, or let it simmer in the broth/liquid until it's done. Personally, I prefer the latter.

As far as how long to cook it.... well, you cook it until everything is tender and it's done. I can't give specific times.

If you've never before made soup, I would suggest starting with some "tried and true" recipes until you get the hang of it. Once you have the basics, it will be much easier to make your own recipes or wing it from scratch.

If it were me, I would use a different cut of meat. Beef is fine but I think a cut up roast or stewing cubes would be best for a soup like this. In soups it is best to have similar size pieces of your different ingredients. (veg, protein, beans, etc.) Since you are using shells and veggies, a cubed beef would pair better than ground beef, IMO. :)

Here is a recipe that uses stewing beef: Beef And Pasta Confetti Soup Recipe - Food.com - 209960

You could sub any veg for the frozen veg in that recipe, if you so wish.

Back
Top Bottom