Corn Cob Jelly - Anyone tried it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It sounds like a dance... you know, like Boot Scootin' Boogie... Slap Leather... Corn Cob Jam...

I haven't even heard of it. Why don't you make up a batch, LMB, and post some pics as you go?

There is only Corn Cob 'Jelly', not Jam, and its a very old recipe that has not been tested under today's canning recommendations, though I guess you could cross your fingers and process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Just remember that you are dealing with a low-acid food item and not a fruit.

Here's the recipe from my files:

Corn Cob Jelly

12 sweet corn cobs
4 cups water
4 cups sugar
1 box fruit pectin

1. Bring water with cobs, to a boil, boil for l0 minutes. Measure 3 cups liquid and strain through a cheesecloth.

2. Put strained fluid into a large saucepan, add pectin. Bring to rolling boil. Add sugar, bring mixture back to a boil. Simmer for 3 minutes, then skim. Add food coloring, if desired.

3. Pour into scalded jars and seal. Jelly will be clear and taste like apple-honey.

There is only Corn Cob 'Jelly', not Jam, and its a very old recipe that has not been tested under today's canning recommendations, though I guess you could cross your fingers and process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.

Yes .. I stand corrected. It is called Jelly .. however .. I made some Jelly and some Jam. Jam has the bits of the fruit in it and mine has the bits of the corn it .. thusly .. Jam !

So here's the scoop. It's super easy, super quick and it really does taste like honey. I was skeptical but tried it this morning and I'm shocked and really happy.

This will taste very good on sweet grilled food, corn bread, english muffins, on a spoon. I'm not sure about tea .. will try that tomorrow. It's thinner than honey and not as "sticky" but the flavor is definitely there.

Next time I will make it with corn cobs that I've cooked on the grill .. I'm now curious what the smokey flavor will do to this concoction.

Here is how I did it.

6 ears of corn
1 qt of water
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp powdered pectin
Sugar equal to reduced liquid

I cooked the corn then cut the kernals from the cob.

Break the cobs in half and put them in a pot with 1 qt of water.

Bring to a boil and boil hard for 30 minutes - uncovered.

For Jelly strain the liquid to remove the bits of corn. For Jam .. leave them in there.

Measure the liquid you have left. Return it to the pot. Add sugar equal the amount of liquid. Stir in lemon juice and pectin. Bring to a boil and boil hard for 1 minute stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and ladle into prepared jars.

Boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Makes about 2 half-pint jars.

Remove cobs and discard.

Would milking the cobs with the back of a knife help the flavor? Just curious. I know when ever I cook COTCs I always scrape the cobs for the milk that has so much flavor. :angel:

Would milking the cobs with the back of a knife help the flavor? Just curious. I know when ever I cook COTCs I always scrape the cobs for the milk that has so much flavor. :angel:

I think that would make the liquid cloudy. If you look at pics of the jelly, it's a nice, clear amber color. Boiling is probably better.

Last edited:
Okay...made it...

Here are a few thoughts.

First, I think the red cobs are important for the color and flavor. Also, I think you can over-boil the cobs to get the juice. That being said, it's not bad. :)

Secondly, there is a bit of a honey-like flavor. I will definitely like this with biscuits.

Third, I kept wondering who first thought to do this. Maybe it was the original softer option for outhouse living. :LOL:

Attachments

• 2013-07-22 19.07.44.jpg
    2013-07-22 19.07.44.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Here are a few thoughts.

First, I think the red cobs are important for the color and flavor. Also, I think you can over-boil the cobs to get the juice. That being said, it's not bad. :)

Secondly, there is a bit of a honey-like flavor. I will definitely like this with biscuits.

Third, I kept wondering who first thought to do this. Maybe it was the original softer option for outhouse living. :LOL:

I also wonder who thought of this!

At this time of year we have so many wonderful things to make jelly or preserves from, why corncobs?

I can understand corncobs for making a quick hot fire in the cook stove but in the outhouse, no thanks!

Are ya finished reading that Sears Roebuck catalog yet? :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I also wonder who thought of this!

At this time of year we have so many wonderful things to make jelly or preserves from, why corncobs?

I can understand corncobs for making a quick hot fire in the cook stove but in the outhouse, no thanks!

Are ya finished reading that Sears Roebuck catalog yet? :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

LOL!!!

In looking up recipes, it called for red cobs from field corn. Simply wagering a guess, I'll bet it was made in the winter as cobs piled up after using the dried corn. Then, dry out those cobs and original Charmin was likely created. :LOL:

How long did you wait for it to set up? It can often take weeks for some jams or jellies to gel. Much of it depends on whether you reached a full rolling boil (220°F). It's not easy on some stoves.

Back
Top Bottom