Computer Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I've been having minor issues with my Mac. Mostly annoying rather than critical. For the last couple of days my Mac has been failing to start back up from sleep when I re-opened the lid. Of course the Mac is out of warranty as it's almost 4 years old.

So, what to do?

When I had PCs, the choices were less clear. You might try getting help on the phone or in chat rooms. What if you want to take it to a technician? You have to find a local computer repair shop whose expertise may or may not cover your problems. Then there's the cost to have all the problems fixed.

On the other hand, I backed up my Mac this morning and drove to the nearest Apple store about 10 minutes away in a local mall. I was ushered in and taken directly to the Genius Bar where Apple technicians do their magic. Ron spent 2 1/2 hours with me off and on running diagnostics, fixing problems, and finally reinstalling the operating system. He even corrected a problem I had with a corrupted version of Firefox that has been causing me issues. Then there's the cost to have all the problems fixed.

Not a single red cent! Now that's Customer Service!

Wow. Now that IS customer service! Good job, Ron and Andy!

Brilliant customer service, very impressive!

I have Mac pcs and love them...GO APPLE!!

We have recently had a new Apple store open in the city..it is the first one here in Adelaide, it is great...all things Apple :)

I'm with you Andy. I love the Genius Bar. When I dropped my laptop a couple of years ago, I took it in and they checked it out and repaired the cracked plate on the face for free. No complaints here!

For what it is worth, I have a Toshiba laptop that is next to useless. Thinking it was me, I bought books on Windows 8 to help me. I'm back to my trusty old Dell desktop with windows 7 (I actually think it is 7.5). I hate the fact that the more technology advances, the more stupid I feel. I can't even get a few phone numbers into my TracFone's memory. Ouch!

For what it is worth, I have a Toshiba laptop that is next to useless. Thinking it was me, I bought books on Windows 8 to help me. I'm back to my trusty old Dell desktop with windows 7 (I actually think it is 7.5). I hate the fact that the more technology advances, the more stupid I feel. I can't even get a few phone numbers into my TracFone's memory. Ouch!

I don't think that it's you, many many people hate windows 8, I'm not sure what they were thinking. Seems like every OTHER version of windows is good. Windows 98 good, Windows ME bad, Windows XP good, Windows Vista not so great, Windows 7 great, Windows 8 terrible.

I don't think that it's you, many many people hate windows 8, I'm not sure what they were thinking. Seems like every OTHER version of windows is good. Windows 98 good, Windows ME bad, Windows XP good, Windows Vista not so great, Windows 7 great, Windows 8 terrible.
I didn't think Win 7 was so wonderful, but I detest Win 8. It apparently pretends to be faster by running in the background when you switch it off. I'm still trying to figure out how to do a soft reboot. :wacko:

I hate that it keeps popping over to the start screen when the cursor accidentally moves too far to the right.

I didn't think Win 7 was so wonderful, but I detest Win 8. It apparently pretends to be faster by running in the background when you switch it off. I'm still trying to figure out how to do a soft reboot. :wacko:

I hate that it keeps popping over to the start screen when the cursor accidentally moves too far to the right.

I've had great luck with windows 7, it's been very stable. I have it running on my server, home theater PC and two laptops.

With that said, this laptop previously had Vista and I had really no issues with it, and didn't understand what all of the hubub was all about. I know that it was a bit of a resource hog, but for its time this laptop was more than powerful enough to handle it. Now it's a bit long in the tooth and runs 7, actually smoother than Vista, so I'm thinking that 7 is a bit more efficient than Vista.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom