Stir-fried Chicken with Sausage and Zucchini in Apricot Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purple.alien.giraffe

Executive Chef
My sister gave me two links of a sausge she found at the nearby middle eastern/mediteranean market. She described them as being like mexican chorizo with some of the sweeter middle eastern spices, which is pretty much what they smelled like. She recommended using them in a dish because they are strongly spiced and the texture is soft.

I had no idea what to do with them but I had chicken thawed so I just started gathering ingredients. This is what I ended up with and it was really good!

2 links hot soujouk beef sausage, sliced
1 large chicken breast, skined, removed from bone and cubed
1 apricot, small diced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 serrano chili, minced
2 6-8 inch zucchini, thinly sliced
Dash or two of mace
Dash or two of cardamom
Generous sprinkling of paprika

Heat a stainless steal pan on medium to medium high until water skips. Add a tiny bit of oil and quickly swirl to coat the bottom. Add the soujouk and cook, stirring constantly until the oil starts to pick up the color of the sausage.

Add the chicken and continue to stir constantly. When chicken is about half done, add the spices and serrano. Continue stirring until chicken is about done.

Add the onion and appricot. Continue stirring. Cook until the onion is done and the apricot has disolved into a sauce.

Add the zucchini. Flip the zucchini to the bottom of the pan so everything is on top of it. Cover with a lid and remove from heat. Let sit 7 minutes. Stir and serve.

If you can't find soujouk you might get away with using mexican chorizo and a bit of sweeter spices, maybe a mix of allspice, fennugreek and fenel. A sweet italian sausage might also work.

Sprout called me about that sausage. She was almost giddy at finding it. P.A.G., you and Sprout have such a variety of foods available to you. Enjoy. It does my heart good to know that you and your families are enjoying life's little pleasures. And that recipe, well I can almost taste it, and in my mind, it tastes really good.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When I was a kid growing up, soujouk was a regular. We ate it like pepperoni, along with string cheese and bread. Dad loved it with eggs.

Your recipe sounds interesting. It looks like the apricot may have been overpowered by all the other strong flavors.

My DIL sent me a picture of her dinner last night and it was this same meal. It looked really good. She just found the recipe last week and had to try it. For her carb loving husband, she served it over pasta, but said that it was fantastic just the way it was, and she didn't have pasta. I don't think she had apricot sauce on hers though. I will share this recipe with her. It looks really good.

Last edited:
When I was a kid growing up, soujouk was a regular. We ate it like pepperoni, along with string cheese and bread. Dad loved it with eggs.

Your recipe sounds interesting. It looks like the apricot may have been overpowered by all the other strong flavors.

The apricot was distinctly there but not dominant. The spices were just tiny ammounts and the spice from the sausages was just enough to be there but not enough to overpower everything. It was well balanced.

The apricot was distinctly there but not dominant. The spices were just tiny ammounts and the spice from the sausages was just enough to be there but not enough to overpower everything. It was well balanced.

Thanks. Consider adding some cumin to the mix the next time.

Thanks. Consider adding some cumin to the mix the next time.

Cumin does sound good. By the way, if you see your comments reported twice, it's because my phone is a hateful wretch that suddenly likes to bump the report key up to where the quote key is. I canceled both times but I don't trust this contraption.

My DIL sent me a picture of her dinner last night and it was this same meal. It looked really good. She just found the recipe last week and had to try it. For her carb loving husband, she served it over pasta, but said that it was fantastic just the way it was, and she didn't have pasta. I don't think she had apricot sauce on hers though. I will share this recipe with her. It looks really good.

Ok, my DIL informed me that hers didn't have chicken, just sausage, but she was happy to get this recipe and, like me, wants to try it. Thanks again PAG!

Back
Top Bottom