Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Salads & Salad Dressings (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Salad dressing basics (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/salad-dressing-basics-86445.html)

FabulousFoodie 07-26-2013 11:27 AM

Salad dressing basics

To my embarrassment, I have never dared make a salad dressing. One attempt a few months back left me with a very vinegar-y salad which was nearly inedible :ermm:

Does anyone have any simple recipes or tips?

Andy M. 07-26-2013 11:32 AM

Salad dressings often include a fat and an acidic ingredient. The fat can be vegetable oils, bacon fat, etc. The acidic ingredient can be any vinegar, citrus juices, or wine. For emulsified dressings, mustard and an egg yolk help the emulsion stay together.

For a typical oil and vinegar based dressing, the ratio is usually 3 parts oil to one part vinegar. This can be modified to suit your taste.

taxlady 07-26-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FabulousFoodie (Post 1285350)
To my embarrassment, I have never dared make a salad dressing. One attempt a few months back left me with a very vinegar-y salad which was nearly inedible :ermm:

Does anyone have any simple recipes or tips?

Welcome to DC.

Are you more interested in vinaigrette type dressing or creamy dressing.

Did you use white vinegar? There are "softer tasting" vinegars, like apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar. BTW, I always taste my dressing by dripping some on the back of my hand and licking. Then I can add some more of this or that. I find that vinaigrettes that are made with wine vinegar will taste a bit more acidic once they are on the salad. With apple cider vinegar, I find it's the opposite. They have less zing on the salad than on my hand.

Dawgluver 07-26-2013 11:42 AM

Try this, from our own Kadesma:

Orange Honey Dressing
Whisk together 2 Tab. evoo,1 tea. honey,2 Tab. fresh OJ salt and pepper. This is great on mesclun with some watercress,red onion, and black olives plus a few sprigs of either parsley or cilantro.
enjoy but serve immediately.
kades
Another good dressing is lemon cream dressing3 tab. evoo
1 Tab. fresh lemon juice and 1/2 tea. of the zest,1 Tab. heavy cream to take the edge off the lemon. add salt and pepper and enjoy over tender lettuce leaves.
kades

merstar 07-26-2013 05:37 PM

This is my favorite vinaigrette - it's from David Lebovitz:
How to Make French Vinaigrette | David Lebovitz

Kylie1969 07-26-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merstar (Post 1285474)
This is my favorite vinaigrette - it's from David Lebovitz:
How to Make French Vinaigrette | David Lebovitz

I like the look of this one, thanks Merstar :smile:

Kylie1969 07-26-2013 06:07 PM

Welcome to DC FabulousFoodie :smile:

Aunt Bea 07-26-2013 06:25 PM

I agree with the basic 3 parts oil 1 part acid then add what you like from items you have on hand until you come up with your own house dressing.

I usually go with 3 parts olive oil,1+part red wine vinegar, a plop of grainy mustard, a crushed garlic clove, salt and freshly ground pepper.

Don't be afraid to experiment it's just a salad! :ermm::ohmy::lol:

jennyema 07-26-2013 07:35 PM

What Andy said.

Memorize that and you'll be perfect

taxlady 07-26-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 1285352)
Salad dressings often include a fat and an acidic ingredient. The fat can be vegetable oils, bacon fat, etc. The acidic ingredient can be any vinegar, citrus juices, or wine. For emulsified dressings, mustard and an egg yolk help the emulsion stay together.

For a typical oil and vinegar based dressing, the ratio is usually 3 parts oil to one part vinegar. This can be modified to suit your taste.

I just saw this post. Excellent description Andy.