Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Canning and Preserving (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f94/)
-   -   Canning with Pasta (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f94/canning-with-pasta-86561.html)

BlairsDen 08-02-2013 03:07 PM

Canning with Pasta

Does anyone have some experience or Recipes of Canning a Chicken Noodle Soup or a Pasta sauce with meatballs and Noodles?? Many thanks!

Dawgluver 08-02-2013 03:15 PM

You will need a pressure canner, of course. Check out the Ball Blue Book, it's kinda the canner's bible, and has tested and proven recipes.

BlairsDen 08-02-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgluver (Post 1287757)
You will need a pressure canner, of course. Check out the Ball Blue Book, it's kinda the canner's bible, and has tested and proven recipes.

It's our Bible in the kitchen on canning days- but not one thing in it with Pasta. :(

Dawgluver 08-02-2013 03:21 PM

Hm. You're right. Wonder if it's because the pasta would get too mushy with canning, and would simply disappear.

BlairsDen 08-02-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgluver (Post 1287759)
Hm. You're right. Wonder if it's because the pasta would get too mushy with canning, and would simply disappear.

If its pre-cooked, then yes it turns to mush-yuk.
But there has to be a way and someone out there with some tips and recipes. After all, how does Chef Boy R Dee do it???

Aunt Bea 08-02-2013 03:59 PM

I looked around on the WWW and it seems that commercial canners use a high acid pasta containing ascorbic acid or some other high acid additive.

Lots of recipes for home use as well.

I myself would stay away from it and cook the pasta while the sauce or soup is heating.

jennyema 08-02-2013 04:36 PM

Can the soup and cook the noodles in the soup a la minute

CWS4322 08-02-2013 05:22 PM

I have canned vegetarian chili. Definitely need to use the pressure canner. When I make soup with pasta, I freeze the soup and add the pasta when I am heating the soup. I like to use orzo or another small pasta -- takes about the time to heat the soup as it does for the pasta to cook. A friend cans her chicken and beef stock, adds the veggies, etc. when she uses it.

CraigC 08-03-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlairsDen (Post 1287760)
If its pre-cooked, then yes it turns to mush-yuk.
But there has to be a way and someone out there with some tips and recipes. After all, how does Chef Boy R Dee do it???

Can your sauce, freeze your meatballs and cook the pasta when you intend to serve it.

BlairsDen 08-04-2013 08:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Seriously craig? Do you not get the purpose of canning? And when your power goes out and everything in your freezer goes bad, then what would you eat?
The meatball go into the jar with the sauce.
And there must be a way to add Pasta too where it won't go mushy.