Canning with Pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlairsDen

Assistant Cook
Does anyone have some experience or Recipes of Canning a Chicken Noodle Soup or a Pasta sauce with meatballs and Noodles?? Many thanks!

You will need a pressure canner, of course. Check out the Ball Blue Book, it's kinda the canner's bible, and has tested and proven recipes.

Hm. You're right. Wonder if it's because the pasta would get too mushy with canning, and would simply disappear.

Hm. You're right. Wonder if it's because the pasta would get too mushy with canning, and would simply disappear.

If its pre-cooked, then yes it turns to mush-yuk.
But there has to be a way and someone out there with some tips and recipes. After all, how does Chef Boy R Dee do it???

I looked around on the WWW and it seems that commercial canners use a high acid pasta containing ascorbic acid or some other high acid additive.

Lots of recipes for home use as well.

I myself would stay away from it and cook the pasta while the sauce or soup is heating.

I have canned vegetarian chili. Definitely need to use the pressure canner. When I make soup with pasta, I freeze the soup and add the pasta when I am heating the soup. I like to use orzo or another small pasta -- takes about the time to heat the soup as it does for the pasta to cook. A friend cans her chicken and beef stock, adds the veggies, etc. when she uses it.

If its pre-cooked, then yes it turns to mush-yuk.
But there has to be a way and someone out there with some tips and recipes. After all, how does Chef Boy R Dee do it???

Can your sauce, freeze your meatballs and cook the pasta when you intend to serve it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously craig? Do you not get the purpose of canning? And when your power goes out and everything in your freezer goes bad, then what would you eat?
The meatball go into the jar with the sauce.
And there must be a way to add Pasta too where it won't go mushy.

Attachments

• image-1151121029.jpg
    image-1151121029.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 258
You can can the vegetables with pasta in one
jar and the meat in another. Use your Ball blue
book for times. I have canned vegetable soup
with macroni ,Pasta was soft but not mushy.
I can meat all the time. I understand you wanting
to can both together, but this will work.

Welcome to DC
Josie

Here is a link to an article from Penn State University about canning soup safely.
Here is another one from the National Center for Home Food Preservation.
I can find no reliable information anywhere that recommends including pasta (or other flour products) in home canned soups or stews.
It simply is not safe for the home canner.
I suspect that in a commercial setting there is specialized equipment that makes it possible.
As lyndalou indicated, you have several options for boiling water even if the power goes out.
Better safe than sorry.

Thanks Josie!!!! I knew there had to be a way.

So what's your secret? Do you do any cooking of the macaroni before jarring it?

Seriously craig? Do you not get the purpose of canning? And when your power goes out and everything in your freezer goes bad, then what would you eat?
The meatball go into the jar with the sauce.
And there must be a way to add Pasta too where it won't go mushy.
I prefer freezing stuff whenever I can, a lot easier. I have a generator (having lived through the Ice Storm of 1998 without power for 12 days and 12 nights--didn't have any problems re: freezer or water thanks to the generator powering everything that was necessary--sump pump, freezer, fridge, hot water tank, furnace). Had I lost the food in the freezer, my homeowner's insurance would have covered it.

:LOL::LOL:I can't remember ever eating Chef Boy R Dee...I've managed to get this far in life without that experience, I think I can survive without it.
I don't remember for sure if I ever had it as a kid, but I remember the smell and that's enough for me not to want to try it.

:LOL::LOL:I can't remember ever eating Chef Boy R Dee...I've managed to get this far in life without that experience, I think I can survive without it.

The closest I ever came with canned spaget was Franco American for the kids lunch. Sometimes I would sauté a small amount of hamburger so they could get some protein. A quick and easy meal for four hungry kids who were playing hard all morning.

My youngest one Poo hated it. Anything with tomatoes and he would run away from home. Not even ketchup. :angel:

I don't remember for sure if I ever had it as a kid, but I remember the smell and that's enough for me not to want to try it.
I remember when I babysat for this one family, the meal for the toddlers was the "O" one (what every that is called -- spaghetti-Os?). Now that you mentioned it, the smell was offsetting.

Back
Top Bottom