Questions from a new canner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michaelpatrick

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone!

I have a few questions regarding canning that I have not been able to find answers to. Perhaps you all can help? :)

My latest attempt at canning leaves me a bit concerned. The National Center for Food Preservation does not provide a recipe for Dill Tomatoes and Cucumbers. Therefore, I used the cucumber recipe for the combination because it required more salt as well as sugar (thus contributing to an overall greater - and presumably safer - level of acidity). See recipe: National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Pickle

My two question are:

1) Is it appropriate to combine cucumbers and tomatoes in this recipe and
2) By adding hot and/or sweet peppers to any of these recipes, am I jeopardizing the necessary level of acidity given that peppers are alkaline?

This latest endeavor also leaves me concerned about my initial canned pickle experiment which also consisted of cucumbers, green tomatoes and peppers, all from my garden. Because I could not find a specific recipe for such, I tried somewhat of a fusion. The ratio for the brine was:

2 quarts distilled water
1 quart 5% distilled white vinegar
1 cup sea salt

I then added chopped garlic, pickling salt, and dill and processed the jars according to standard procedure. As such, does this seem like an appropriate level of acidity or should I not take any chances and discard the first batch?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through my question!. As an amateur canner, I just want to make sure that I am doing things correctly given the potential for severe consequences!

Best,

Michael McCabe

Welcome to DC! Ball Blue Book has a number of recipes for mixed vegetable relishes (Rummage Relish, for example), so no worries about mixing things up. I think as long as your processing time is adequate, and your jars seal, you should be OK.

Last edited:
Canning

I have a question, I am new to canning. I canned some salsa and put it in boiling water for 25 minutes but the lids did not seal. can I do this again or do I need to get new lids? thanks.:(

You have a window that you can try to reseal something. If you refrigerated the jars right away, you can bring it all back to a boil, jar, and process.

It's unusual for an entire batch of something to not seal so I have a couple questions ...
1. Are you using actual canning jars with new lids?
2. Are you wiping down the rims before you put on the lid?
3. Are you overfilling the jars?

I bought the Ball Mason jars w/lids at walmart, I filled them just to leave an inch and a half at the top, wiped the lids and jars clean before placing the lid on them. I think I just didn't leave them in the boiling water long enough because after that I canned 8 jars of chili and it sealed perfect. thanks for answering my question I did put them in the refrig so I will try them again tonight. :chef:

I would leave less than 1 1/2 inch head space, Ball recommends only 1/4 inch. You should probably use new lids, the rings can be reused. Processing time 30 minutes.

Good luck!

Canning

Thank you all for your help. I did re-can in the same jars and they sealed very nicely, I truly believe I did not leave them in the water bath long enough. :)

Back
Top Bottom