Five "Go to" recipes/dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I have a boarder coming to stay for 6 weeks while he is doing an internship in the area. He has asked me to teach him how to cook. I think everyone should have five "go to" dishes/recipes.

1. Scrambled eggs or an omelet
2. Cesar salad
3. Tomato sauce for pasta

I'm at a loss re: the other two. Steak comes to mind. Fish. Chicken. What are your five "go to" recipes/dishes? I don't cook using recipes, I cook according to what I have on hand. Obviously, I can handle teaching him how to make these three because of what's in the garden and pantry, but just don't know what the other two "go to" dishes should be.

Some kind of soup, eg, chicken soup!

+1

Stock from carcasses, meatloaf, spaghetti and marinara sauce, tuna steaks, boiled shrimp, potato salad!

OK, some more: beef chili, mushroom soup, tuna casserole.

Last edited:
I don't do pears (or bananas). Can definitely do mushroom soup and chili and meatloaf. I was thinking more along the lines of dishes he could prepare to impress s/one with his cooking skills...stock I can do (and I must say, I do very well).

Definitely a chicken dish - Roast chicken would be the easiest.

Absolutely something "chicken" and, as merstar mentioned. roast would be a good basic. Plus, from this there are all manner of chicken recipes that could result. Chicken salad, chicken and dumplings, chicken soup, etc.

I'd add that some form of pork dish would be another "go to" item. Pork chops are always a winner and can be done in the oven, in a skillet or on the grill. Pretty versatile.

I would do at least one baked item.

Cornbread, biscuits, popovers etc...

I am also a big fan of the process of using up things.

An example is the life cycle of a roast chicken or plain roast beef. Start with the big Ta Dah feast next a couple of leftover or makeover meals and finally the soup pot.

Last edited:
Definitely soup, stew, etc. Grocery shopping would be a great lesson, too.

Any dish can be a "tah dah" meal. I think there is a big difference between good food and presentation. The good food part needs to come first.

One other thing I thought of.

See if you can work in some basic recipes for things most people buy instead of making these days. Things like salad dressing, barbeque sauce, basice white sauce with variations etc.... Learning to make a few of these basic items can save thousands of dollars over a persons lifetime in the kitchen and they taste better.

One other thing I thought of.

See if you can work in some basic recipes for things most people buy instead of making these days. Things like salad dressing, barbeque sauce, basice white sauce with variations etc.... Learning to make a few of these basic items can save thousands of dollars over a persons lifetime in the kitchen and they taste better.

That may be, but Sweet Baby Fred's just doesn't have the same ring to it.
:LOL:

I'd ask him what he likes to eat first. It makes no sense to teach him how to cook something he has no interest in eating.

Having said that, most people like chicken and the roast chicken is a great start, with leftover dishes to follow. I'd also teach him about brine for chicken and pork.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, his specialty is Kraft dinner. I've offered to show/teach him how to make it from scratch...even though I rarely make it.

One of my easy but tasty go-to recipes is chicken cutlets.

Season chicken breasts that have been split in half to make them thin. Saute in olive oil and butter until nicely browned on both sides and cooked ( I prefer uncoated pan for this to develop a nice fond) remove from pan and set aside. Add white wine to the pan to deglaze (pinot grigio or savignon blanc works well) and reduce until almost a syrup. Drop in a pat of butter until melted, remove from heat and add chicken back in to coat with sauce. Serve.

Something like this is so easy and has such great flavor. It would be very rewarding for a beginner cook.

This would be a great for a "date dinner".

Last edited:
bakechef, those chicken cutlets can be the base for all kinds of "date-night" meals. While the chicken rests, saute up some mushrooms, add a bit more butter along with madeira wine, and spoon over the chicken. Or do a lemon sauce with capers. Or again saute mushrooms, then add in dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts and some white wine. Or...or...or... All kind of possibilities.

I also like Dawg's meatloaf idea. A fresh, hot meal, then grilled slices of meatloaf with a brown gravy/mushroom sauce for another hot meal, plus cold meatloaf sandwiches.

And instead of "Kraft mac&cheese" you could probably just teach a bechamel sauce and how it can be turned into a cheese sauce, including cleaning up all the bits of various cheeses. Then he has the basics for all kinds of things. That cheese sauce can be for mac-and, or cheese scallop potatoes. All kinds of variations.

Have fun teaching him CW!

If he is a total beginner I think it is a good idea to think in terms of teaching him how to cook a simple complete meal.

I have an old friend that still does not cook much and for years his summer cooking was limited to a tossed salad and grilled meat, his winter meal was a pot roast with vegetables and apple sauce from a jar or cabbage salad. In the summer dessert was watermelon and cookies made from the lumps of dough you find in the dairy case. In the winter dessert was a cake from a box with canned frosting or ice cream.

A couple of complete meals would allow him to entertain a little and increase the sense of accomplishment.

I can't wait for the new thread tracking the poor guy's progress in the kitchen! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I like the whole roast chicken idea. I'd also include a sautéed fish dish and basic rice. You could also show him how to make rice pilaf.

Personally, I've never understood the appeal of Caesar salad. I prefer a salad with lots of chopped veggies and a vinaigrette. Vinaigrettes are versatile, too. They can be used for green or pasta salad dressing, marinade, grilled or roasted veggie topping, etc.

Since I'm limited in the vegetables I can eat (no high-fiber veg), I buy the same ones practically every week: bell peppers, onions, garlic, celery, green beans, sometimes zucchini and/or summer squash. With these as a base, I can make many dishes by varying seasonings, sauces and accompaniments, such as chicken fajitas, veggie/ground beef/tomato sauce for pasta, Thai shrimp curry, pasta salad, Chinese chicken or pork stir-fry, etc.

Given that I cook from scratch, he's probably going to learn how to make tomato sauce since I will be processing tomatoes. Taking him grocery shopping should be interesting. Stay tuned...

Back
Top Bottom